Trouble getting TV signal, after updating to 1.0! (1 Viewer)

Heather

Portal Member
September 13, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: Windows Xp SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 3.0 GHz
HDD: Too many to list!
Memory: 1GB DDR
Motherboard: Abit AG8-3rd Eye
Video Card: ATi Radeon x800xt
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.9
Sound Card: Realtek ALC658 (AC'97 Codec)
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 500MCE
1. TV Card Type: Analog
Satelite/CableTV Provider: GET
HTPC Case: Lian Li PC C-30
Cooling: Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Power Supply: Seasonic s12
Remote: Ati Remote Wonder II and MCE
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I should start by saying that I'm not exactly a computer wizard, but I'm not completely new to installing and setting up programs & drivers (and such) either. Lost story short; I threw out my boyfriend a while back and he was the one building and setting up MediaPortal for us. Since then I'm trying my best to figure these things out on my own. I don't have any friends that know these kinda things, so I'm struggling a little at the moment (putting the above hardware list together took me about a month, for example).

Now, I had some problems with graphical errors in my last MP install (0.2.3, I think) and after some asking around on the internet it seems these errors could be because of the graphics card being too hot. I was recommended to upgrade to a passively cooled card (as it's both cooler but also silent), like ATI Radeon 4830 (if I remember correctly).

Aaaaaaaaaanyway; I also thought it would be a good idea to upgrade MediaPortal and the codecs. I uninstalled the stuff that is recommended for fresh install (Haili, fdshow and media player classic was what I uninstalled). I downloaded the newest versions of the above, and installed them before installing MediaPortal 1.0.
I think everything went according to plan, but then I noticed the TV was gone from MediaPortal (still using 0.2.3 or whatever it was). So I installed 1.0 and did the automatic scan thing in configuration. But still no picture. Then I tried the "download" feature instead of scan, and it looked just like before I uninstalled, with all the right names of the channels etc, but still no picture.

So I tried changing the codecs (to fdshow) in the dropdown menus for TV (in MP config) because that's where it seems to have gone wrong, but still no picture. I tried memorizing/writing down all the configuration settings before I uninstalled and it seems I forgot to write this info down. But as I remember it, it was like the default setting (MPV or what it's called).

Now I'm looking at this TV-server thing. But although I've read everything I can find in the wiki I don't really understand how to set it up (or what it actually does, to be honest). I know for sure that my ex didn't use this, because I remember him talking about installing it because (he said) it would make it possible to watch TV on other computers. I don't have a TV, so without TV in MediaPortal I can't watch TV at all. I tried starting the TV server config, but when I enter MediaPortal as password, I get the "wrong password" pop-up. I didn't change anything during install, and I even re-installed the whole thing - but still it doesn't work. I don't need to watch TV on other computers, and I have an analog signal (or so I'm told by a friend who tested it). So if possible, maybe the old TV thing in MP is better for me?

Sorry for the very long post, I try my best not to ask stupid questions and to read as much as I can. It's difficult though. It's not been 6 months trying to learn this stuff. Unfortunately the easiest solution (call ex bf) is NOT an option.

Heather

Portal Member
September 13, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
C'mon people. Nobody that got any ideas on how I could resolve this?

Too little info? Too much info?

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
Hey Heather, nice to see women on the forums. As a general friendly advice to a novice is don't take any advice you read on the forums (including any future mine) and try to back them up a little if they're coming from an unreliable source. Especially advice having to do with you bying new hardware and throwing out your old ones.
Now about the database password it's case sensitive so you have to type "MediaPortal" and not "Mediaportal" or "mediaportal". Start from there and if you have any problems come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom