Trouble with CAM card setup (HDHomerun Prime) (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hoffa

October 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm having real trouble trying to get Meda Portal 2 TV server to work with my HD HomeRun Prime. The server, of course, shows up in the tv server config app, but the tuners only show up intermittently, and only immediately after the tv service is restarted. Otherwise, when the tv config app is opened, they aren't listed under the server as available tuners, they are listed as "unknown type" in the main listing. I have enabled these as CAM tuners. I've successfully previewed a channel or two in the config app under the channels sectioni, but only when I am so lucky as to see the tuners listed available, and am never able to preview from the "all channels" listing. I've also tried selecting both of the available tuner types (ATSC or generic). I am baffled as to what is going on, especially since the service can't seem to hang on to what I tell it for more than a session.

dvgeek

Portal Pro
November 16, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
Home Country
Thanks for responding so quickly!

Unfortunately, I've blown the install away so don't have any log files. Not sure if any log files would have helped - explanation below.

I followed all the steps from mm1352000 diligently. It showed that about 528 channels were found. And all the channels came up with a red icon which had a 'T' inside the icon. I guess that all channels are encrypted (even the free to air broadcast ones). I even tried force editing a channel by ticking the 'Free to Air' check box so that the icon turns green (still had a capital 'T' in it).

In the manual control section, timeshift works - a file is allocated in the timeshift directory, but the recording button is grayed out - so cannot record the channel to see if actually anything is recorded or not.

Preview button in the TV channels section just shows a black screen.

On checking the web regarding my cable provider (Comcast) - I read in one forum that they encrypted everything - even the free to air channels.

So I guess I'm stuck. What puzzles me is that NextPVR works - and I'm forced to use that.Or go to WMC :(

And Oh! PLEX DVR works too (tested in both Linux and Windows 10) - but it's a long long way from being where I want it to be.

Thanks again!

PS: I have quite a bit of hardware, so I can quickly put up a system or two or three, and get a set-up going in an hour. I can repeat the entire process, capture the logs and send them - if it helps. But will MP be able to decrypt the channels like NextPVR or PLEX DVR? If MP is supposed to, then I'm willing to go through the process again and let's figure this thing out - I'm sure there must be quite a few users of MP with Comcast digital cable.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If mm1352000 helped already and it did not work out, then I can for sure also not help. I still use WMC for TV, so I've only basic experience with MP.
    Regarding your question, MP of course works for decrypting channels (see manuals in Wiki), but I can not specifically guarantee, that everything will work with your tuner directly.

dvgeek

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2013
    SF Bay Area, California
    Home Country
    Oh no no - I did not mean to say that mm1352000 helped me directly - I followed his directions from the forum post (CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1)

I have a Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card, and as per the wiki it is supported.

Unfortunately the wiki needs quite a bit of updating - the process and screen shots are totally different. (Outdated?). Like, for example, there is no country selection in the present TVServer configuration for DVB-C tuners. So mm1352000's post is the nearest match to what is currently in MP with slight differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom