TrueHD & DTS-HD MA Bitstreaming inside MP a matter of time? (1 Viewer)

blackEyEz

Portal Pro
July 8, 2009
Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - AVS Forum

What about media players? Could, for example, MPC HomeCinema or the 7MC internal player output HD audio bitstreams? The answer depends on whether the driver's DirectShow audio renderer support the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_IEC61937 format. If the driver supports it, then the developer of an audio decoder (e.g. AC3Filter, ffdshow tryouts) should be able to implement HD audio bitstreaming easily. Please also read vladd's posts. Note that PAP (encrypting HD audio signals in a user-accessible bus such as the PCI Express bus) has nothing to do with HD audio bitstreaming. PAP is required only for an AACS-compliant player such as PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theater.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

/me jumps up and down for a dev's attention. On AVS forum they dont see a problem with MP implementing HD audio :) :) :)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When the codec and your hardware/driver can handle it any player can add support for this rather quickly. It's just a matter of time until such hardware becomes more and more common, so developers can test and experiment with such stuff.

The GPU manufacturers are just lagging a bit behind especially when it comes to audio which is naturally for them as they had focus on other things. Was the same with SPDIF some years ago. I remember when the SPDIF interfaces first showed up on PCs. What a nightmare to get sound properly to a receiver.

So having a proper hardware with proper HDMI drivers is one thing. Free codecs are another that know what the format is and send it properly to the audio renderer. And also it might be necessary to have something like ReClock to bypass the Windows Mixer for bit-perfect audio playback.

You might want to checkout this thread: ffdshow tryouts project: Discussion & Development - Page 408 - Doom9's Forum. And there's also some related discussion on the Slysoft forum.

Guess the new ATI series is bringing motion again to this topic... About time I say.

As an alternative you can always transcode the HD codecs to FLAC. Transcoding one lossless codec to another should have minimum impact on sound quality. You probably only can hear it if your speakers have the price of a used sports car each. But then you wouldn't deal with HTPCs and use some other media library and distribution solution and have a custom installer deal with it. :D

There's incredible cool stuff out there if you have the cash for it and even more cooler custom installations done by professionals who know what they are doing. Should I ever win in the lottery I build a house according to my dream AV specs. Yeah, probably a cellar full of 19" racks and miles and miles of cabling. And of course a professional kitchen so I can always throw cool parties with good catering.

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    What about the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 deluxe (with H6 analogue RCA-connection board) soundcard option?? I'm thinking of upgrading my HTPC with this one and I'm wondering if I would be able to playback blu-rays ripped to hard drive (or from original discs) with non-downsampled 7.1 DTS-HD/MA and Dolby True HD sound. I'm running MP 1.6.0 on Windows 8.1 x64.

The H6 will feed a NAD T977 7-channel power amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom