.TS/H.264 from Kartina.TV problems (1 Viewer)

Caleb

Portal Member
January 14, 2012
Hi,

I used to watch TV through MP using a special 3rd party plugin that used VLC to playback to stream content from my IPTV provider (Kartina.TV), but recently someone made a plugin that uses MP's own DVB-IP filter to stream the video (thanks to georgious!), so I switched to that.

For some reason, I'm getting _heavy_ stuttering and slowdown while watching TV, and also while watching recorded content from these IPTV channels (watching regular DVB-T TV shows no problems). As far as I can tell, the codec is H.264. What basically happens is that I see major frame drop -- basically, the Dropped Frames counter keep climbing up and everything slows down, and MP doesn't report discontinuity errors. I tried playing a recording in PotPlayer, and it worked smoothly.

I've tried changing the H264 decoder in the TV tab to LAV+CUVID, ffdshow DXVA and the Microsoft one, but they all exhibit this behaviour. I then tried to upgrade to Owlsroost's new TsReader noStopMod55 but it didn't help.

Here's a small recorded video I made: http://ifile.it/jfyl0sn
I'd appreciate any help, because this problem basically prohibits me from using MP properly.

Some specs:
GFX Card: Geforce 9600GT

Edit: I will post some logs later.

Last edited:

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    You could try renaming the file to .mkv and then play it in MP videos. That will make it use another source/splitter filter and perhaps that's where the problem is.

dimka

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2009
    Hillerod
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Caleb,

Please try DivX h264 decoder - the performance for Kartina'a particular stream is much better than any othera. Also remember to enable hardware acceleration for DivX h264 codec.

br,
    dimka

Caleb

Portal Member
    January 14, 2012
    You could try renaming the file to .mkv and then play it in MP videos. That will make it use another source/splitter filter and perhaps that's where the problem is.
    Wow, this seems to do the trick. Renaming it to MKV resulted in smooth playback with 0 drops. My TV and Video codecs are all set to LAV. So what could this be? TsReader?

dimka: I will try DivX as well, but I'd love to solve this problem too, because Kartina's stream works fine in other players.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    So what could this be? TsReader?
    No as TsReader is used for "normal" Video Playback also. Has to be a Splitter issue. Maybe LAV Splitter is not configured to work with .ts container. If the Filename is .mkv LAV Splitter is used, if it's named .ts Windows Splitter is used if no other is defined...
    But instead of simply renaming I suggest to remuxx the .ts files. Take only a few seconds and the resulting file is often much smaller. And the container is treated right. You can use free MKVMergeGUI from MKVToolnix for that.

Caleb

Portal Member
    January 14, 2012
    Hi.
    So what could this be? TsReader?
    No as TsReader is used for "normal" Video Playback also. Has to be a Splitter issue. Maybe LAV Splitter is not configured to work with .ts container. If the Filename is .mkv LAV Splitter is used, if it's named .ts Windows Splitter is used if no other is defined...
    But instead of simply renaming I suggest to remuxx the .ts files. Take only a few seconds and the resulting file is often much smaller. And the container is treated right. You can use free MKVMergeGUI from MKVToolnix for that.
    I don't need this file. The file is a small recording of an IPTV stream, recorded for testing purposes.
    Here's some more info:
    • When I load the file as MKV, the list of codecs I see when I press Shift+1 is: "Default DirectSound Device , Enhanced Video Renderer, LAV Audio Decoder, LAV Video Decoder, C:\Users\....\filename.mkv", and playback is smooth.
    • When I load the file as TS, the list of codecs I see when I press Shift+1 is: "Enhanced Video Renderer, Default DirectSound Device, LAV Video Decoder, LAV Audio Decoder, TsReader", and I get lots of dropped frames and stuttering.
    I looked at the LAV Splitter settings, and I don't see the TS container in the formats list.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    I looked at the LAV Splitter settings, and I don't see the TS container in the formats list.
    It's called "mpegts" in LAV Splitter config...;)
    The tsreader.ax is Mediaportals directshow media player so it's used to playback all kind of media inside MP
    Maybe you can have a look at the graph with graphstudio or graphedit ("connect to remote graph" while playing the .ts in MP) to see what's really used to play your file.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TsReader.ax has a problem handling the sample file - in GraphStudioNext it plays smoothly using LAV splitter, but stutters with TsReader.

I'll add it to the 'To Do' list for TsReader development.....

Tony

Caleb

Portal Member
    January 14, 2012
    Tony, is it possible to make MP use some other TS splitter, other than TsReader? Because right now, this makes TV unwatchable for me :(

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Tony, is it possible to make MP use some other TS splitter, other than TsReader? Because right now, this makes TV unwatchable for me :(

No - basically it's hardwired to use TsReader.ax

The problem we have is that the H.264 parser code in TsReader was originally implemented and tested with broadcast streams (which it works OK with). Now that TvServer can handle more IPTV streams, a few of them are finding problems in that code (e.g. I fixed an issue recently for another IPTV stream). These sort of issues can take a long time to debug, so you'll have to be patient....

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom