onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all

I currently have 3 systems with tbs6981 tuners.

1 of them I need to upgrade to a 4 port tuner.

I've not happy with the tuning times on the tbs 6981 since purchasing (it was much better with mm's tbs patch but its no longer developed or unstable in new branches at present) - happy to wait on 2 of systems for the 3.5 server update but the waf machine needs sorting so would like to eliminate tune time delays whilst upgrading the card :)

Is the tbs 6984 or other tbs 4 ports going to suffer from similar times?

Or worth paying more and getting the cine v6 and duoflex?

Or other alternatives anyone can recommend. I'm looking for a change time of about 2/3 secs for a HD dvbs2 channel

Thanks
    Ian

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Ian,

I have both the TBS 6984 and a TBS 6284. These are on a dedicated TV Server with three dedicated clients running over a gigabit network. My channel change times are about 2 secs for the DVB-S Channels and around 3 secs for DVB-S2 (HD) channels, and that is over the network. The DVB-T/T2 card is slower with the T2 channel changes and takes about 4-5 seconds. I have never tried to get the channel changes any lower, it may be possible, I don't know, but I am more than happy with the two cards. Everything is working well and I don't want to mess as the WAF is quite high at present.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Are you aware of digital devices cine s2 v6 having slow times or is it ok and the better option?
    Pass. For the record I've not had any direct contact with anybody from Digital Devices, and I don't own any of their cards - too expensive for me. :)
    Hopefully some other people can comment about their experience.

mm

TheyCallMeTJ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2012
    Home Country
    I think I can share the criticism that TBS channels are slower to change. I just installed a TBS6284 quad T2 tuner today and it works superbly with both MCE and Mediaportal but I do see that it takes a few seconds to change channel and thats on a single seater installation.

BTW This is my first day using MP too, so I do have as fair bit of learning to do but so far I like the basic default build of 1.2.3. I am however, missing the flexible keyword scheduling facility that MCE provided. I hope to find a plugin that can do the same :)

octessence

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2012
    Germany
    Home Country
    I have a tbs6981 and it switches channels in 1-2 seconds (usually closer to 1 second). I consider that pretty fast. What kind of tuning speeds do you get?

You might want to look at my slow tuning thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/help-with-slow-tuning.113568/

In summary of that thread, I just had to tell Microsoft security essentials to ignore the tvserver.exe. Otherwise it will virus scan the timeshift buffer with its real-time scanner every time you switch channels.

edit: I just re-read the OP and I did a test on my HD channels (BBC HD and ITV HD). I think these are dvb-s2 now. Is there something like a shift-1 that will tell me? I get a tuning speed of 4-5 seconds on those.

Last edited:

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    The 3.5 exp test patch has tbs driver support now Which I have running with djblus branch

Dvbs tunes 2 seconds
    Dvbs2 tunes 3/4 (encrypted as well)

First tune is 8-10 secs, not found a way of reducing this

octessence

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2012
    Germany
    Home Country
    Do you have a link/branch tag/whatever to this 3.5 exp test patch? I'll give it a try to see if it does anything for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom