Tuning problems (1 Viewer)

enzo-ita

Portal Member
July 1, 2006
Be patient at first! I need to tell you what I am playing with....

• Desktop PCI PCTV analog digital tv card
    OS W xp Pro

Notebook Toshiba Hybrid analog digital tv card
    OS W Xp Pro MCE

Set top box Humax dtt 4000
    DVB-T decoder not connected to computers of any sort.
The three are connected to the same antenna cable.

The notebook under MCE has many many difficulties in tunig digital channels often nothing is tuned and I get a no signal message.

The notebook under MP, up to yesterday tuned all the channels but then it started in giving a no signal message while selecting some channels and if re-auto-tuned finds about 50% of the channels.

The PC under Pinnacle software tunes all the channels, always.

The PC under MP shows the same behavior of the notebook. Tuned perfectly before and then it started giving no signal message while selecting some channels and has problems in tunig. Onlysome channels are tuned if re-auto-tuned.

The set top box tunes all the channels, always.

From what above, I do not think the problem is due to a defective hadware.

Any clues? I am clue less.

ciao from Italy

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It sounds like the TV signal level into your DVB-T card is marginal - hence the missing channels and "no signal" messages. Generally, set-top boxes have a better RF section (more sensitive) than PC DVB-T cards, so that would explain why you get all the channels on the STB.

Try this - unplug all 3 devices from the antenna lead, remove all splitters, and then plug the DVB-T card directly into the antenna so you are getting maximum available signal to that one device. Let me know if that improves the signal level?

enzo-ita

Portal Member
    July 1, 2006
    Hi,
    I tryed what you said and I also tryed to connect the set top box where the notebook is, and no changes. The set top box tunes perfectly no matter where it is connected.

I think this proves three things:
    The signal is the same at any plug no matter how many splitter I have or tuner connected.
    The hardware is the problem because it shows the same behaviour no matter where it is connected.
    The signal is strong but the quality is not.

About the difference in tuned channels by MP and mce in the same machine, I think this is due to apparently locked channels that are tuned by MP and not tuned by mce.

The channels not tuned by mce are infact marked red (locked) in the MP channel list.

Any opinion on what above will be very welcome.

ciao

enzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom