TV always starts delayed on one client (1 Viewer)

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The strange thing is that it happens only after a longer standby. If look TV, go to stand by and resume immediately, then everything is OK.
    If I go to standby for a few minutes, then resume and start TV the problem occurs.

All PCs use Windows Defender. On the server and the clients I have excluded the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\" from Windows Defender. On the server side I have also excluded the RAM-disk drive for the timeshift.

All PCs use the Windows firewall with default settings.

[2016-12-23 07:28:35,463] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Cannot signal client activity to remote TvServer: Die Verbindung mit dem Remoteserver kann nicht hergestellt werden.

The stream is playing (at least the sound), but PS (PowerScheduler?) can not connect to the Server?

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It might be an idea to have Task Manager open with MP in windowed mode (after wake from standby), then start TV and check if there is a process using a lot of CPU ?

This is really strange, the most CPU was consumed by the "Anitmalware Service Executable" (aka Defender).
    I had excluded the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal" and additionally the "MediaPortal.exe".
    On a client there is no timeshift stuff to exclude.

I will try again with Defender turned off. Is there something additionally I should exclude on a client?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I always exclude "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters" as well.

But your 'HTPC' system is fairly powerful so I would not expect Windows Defender to cause the sort of delays you are getting, unless something strange is going on.

If you wake up the PC and then wait a few minutes before starting TV, does the problem still happen?

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Turned Defender off for testing. Delay was still there :(. "MediaPortal.exe" was the task with the most CPU (4.6%). While this happens MediaPortal is completely blocked. I will repeat the test later again to get logs...

-- Update ---

If you wake up the PC and then wait a few minutes before starting TV, does the problem still happen?

I will test that...

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Resumed the HTPC this morning and waited 5 minutes on the desktop before starting TV. Delay is still there.

What is also very strange: If I suspend the PC then and resume immediately, everything works fine. Only if the PC was suspended for a longer time the delay occurs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Resumed the HTPC this morning and waited 5 minutes on the desktop before starting TV. Delay is still there.
    Hmmm, this result is quite interesting.

From looking at the code, one possibility is that the delay is related to a plugin handling the playback started event. So, are you able to reproduce the problem with Watchdog option 1 (all 3rd party plugins disabled)? Considering the PowerScheduler message that Owlsroost saw, it may also be useful to test with the PS plugin disabled.

What is also very strange: If I suspend the PC then and resume immediately, everything works fine. Only if the PC was suspended for a longer time the delay occurs.
    This suggests that the problem may be related to server connection loss or lower power state which is only attained/reached when the PC is suspended for at least X seconds/minutes.

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm, this result is quite interesting.
    From looking at the code, one possibility is that the delay is related to a plugin handling the playback started event. So, are you able to reproduce the problem with Watchdog option 1 (all 3rd party plugins disabled)? Considering the PowerScheduler message that Owlsroost saw, it may also be useful to test with the PS plugin disabled.

Yes I used option 1. Will try disabling PowerScheduler.

This suggests that the problem may be related to server connection loss or lower power state which is only attained/reached when the PC is suspended for at least X seconds/minutes.

Maybe I should change power state settings in the BIOS.

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I turned off PowerScheduler. I checked that IPV6 is definitely off on server and client. I completely turned off Windows Defender on the client.
    The delay was a bit shorter this morning, but it's still there.The Problem only happens if the client is off for a few hours (not minutes).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. Please try temporarily disabling all other 3rd party plugins as well. Any one of them could introduce the delay when handling the on playback start event.

Also I see you're still using RTSP.
    Did you try UNC paths instead of RTSP as I previously suggested?

Another idea would be to try UNC paths (SMB shares) instead of RTSP:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ation/22_TV/Advanced_Options#Multi-seat_setup

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay. Please try temporarily disabling all other 3rd party plugins as well. Any one of them could introduce the delay when handling the on playback start event.

In most of my other logs I was using the option 1 of the Watchdog tool. As the error also happened then, I assume it's not a 3rd party tool, as that option disables 3rd Party plugins. Is that correct?

Thank you for the reminder to the UNC stuff. I forgot to check that. Will do this ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom