TV appears squeezed after reinstall of XP (1 Viewer)

medaust

Portal Pro
September 12, 2007
Home Country
Hi,

I recently reinstalled Windows XP. After that, the TV program 16:9 SD is always squeezed in to a 4:3 TV, so all the people look much skinner. I have tried all aspect rations, in the setting section. Only the 'Letter box' option can make the program appear widescreen, however, it seems that the program is squashed (people look short and fat). All other options will have the program fit 16:9 fitted into 4:3 space.
Can anyone point to a right direction for me. I am using ATI 9550 connected to TV through sVideo. Before the reinstall, all program had right aspect ratio.

Thanks very much.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    sounds like you use an video codec which does not detect the Aspect ratio of your reveiced / played video correctly.

but if you use i.e. 800x600 on a 16:9 TV then everything will always look streched (afaik), because the 4:3 images gets stretched to 16:9 :)

medaust

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks. You must be right, I installed so many programs before and I can not remember what codec I used before. I am using the default codec of MP 0.2.2 now.
    Can you suggest a right codec for playing TV? ffdshow?
    I use 800x600 res on my 4:3TV, everything else looks to be at right aspect ration.

medaust

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks again. I tried some other codecs, including powerDVD and ffdshow. The only codec that can detect AR correctly is the built-in Dscaler codec. But it is not very smooth, some channels are a bit more jerky than others. My machine is Athlon XP2100+ and ATI 9550. Is there anywhere I can change some settings. All the other codecs are very smooth, just not the correct AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom