[solved] tv client configuration application missing (1 Viewer)

Micheal Farrell

November 12, 2017
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
edit, found it, google was no help, just had to scroll throught this forum back to a post in march 17

I am hoping to switch from mce to mediaportal 2,

I have setup a desktop with client and server and all seems to be working out of the box (just waiting on tuner to arrive)

but i i have installed mediaportal 2 several times on my laptop (server and client first by mistake but client only since) but i cant find a way to tell the laptops client to connect to the desktops server, websites keep mentioning MediaPortal Configuration, and tv client setup, but i just have on the desktop...
the mediaportal 2 icon
service status icon
logcollector icon

and in the start menu i have the same plus an uninstall icon

in the mediaportal2 program i have no tv client settings

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Micheal,

The TV Configuration os only available on the PC on which you installed the server part.

i cant find a way to tell the laptops client to connect to the desktops server
    You need to have an active MP2 Server service running in your network. This would normally be the above-mentioned server part.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Normally any client detects a running! MP2 server in the local network automatically. In your case it is possible is that your client laptop still has the "old" configuration and still is attached to the server you've installed accidentally on first installation try. You can go in the laptop client to settings > general > connections and then MP2 Server. Here you can see if the client is attached to a MP2 server or not. If it is attached to the no longer existing Server on the laptop itself you can detach it from this unwanted server. If this is not the case and/or you've detached the client from the "wrong" server there is a button on the left to search for servers. Normally now the "desktop-" server should be found and you can attach the laptop- client to it. That's all you need to "configure" on the client side for Media and TV setup. Everything you've configured already on the desktop (media sources, TV configuration,...) is instantly available on the laptop client too without any further action.

If this did not find any server (also you're sure the "desktop- server" is up and running) then something is wrong in your network. Maybe you need to allow UPnP communication because the server and client are communicating via UPnP. Or your firewall is blocking communication between server and client. Or your client is not in the same Class-C group of your network (but this only should happen if you manually modified your network settings), and so on...

Micheal Farrell

November 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    got it working, yeh it was trying to connect to its old now removed that server, and firewall on desktop was blocking the real server (had to manually add the service to allowed list)

thanks so much for for your very halpful and detailed replies, i will probably be starting a new thread before the week is out with me next problem,my old amd mce system has a faulty tuner so i ordered a new pcie dual tuner that will fit into an unused windows 10 i5 desktop

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only as hint. There is a WMC skin for MP2, that will offer you a similar look and feel as in your previous MCE system. As a start it might be a good choice in case you feel unfamiliar with other skins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom