TV Configuration Always Crashes on Channel Search - New Win10 and MP2 Install (1 Viewer)

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,
I use two Hauppauge 2250's on a Lenovo PC to record over the air broadcasts with Win7 and WMC and all works. Trying to change over to Win10, using a different drive to fresh install Win10 and MP2.1.1 Of course I installed all the latest Win10 drivers. Install of MP2.1.1 goes fine. All goes well until I attempt to scan for channels and then TV Server Configuration tool crashes and sometimes will not restart unless I reboot the computer. The tool does not appear to be finding any channels. I do select ATSC for the four tuners. Attached is an error log I get.

I have no idea what the problem is and would appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 01.jpg
    ScreenHunter 01.jpg
    145.7 KB

Cordraconis

Portal Pro
July 26, 2016
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Very similar problems like I had and like in this thread:
BSOD when scanning channels analog Cable HVR-2255 (F111)

Please read the tips from there and see if you can make some progress.
Do note that according to Hauppauge you have only TWO (2) tuners, not four like you said above.

Seems like Hauppauge's cards give scanning problems. First I tought I was the only one, but lately... maybe someone should give those guys a heads-up?

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
Hi Cordra,

Thank you for your reply, all the help the better! ;) ... Actually, the HVR-2250 tuner boards have two built in tuners each, and as I have two boards it is a total of four tuners or MPEG-2 Encoders. Yesterday I noticed your BSOD thread and it jogged my memory from five years ago when I first setup WMC and these 2250's. I recalled that to get required drivers installed (even though the operating system could "see" both 2250's and reported them setup) that one had to install Hauppauge's WinTV software as part of a process to get the DLL's needed into the O.S. After that WMC would work and WinTV could be lightly uninstalled.

So I found that Hauppauge had updated the prior WinTV V7.2 with a more recent WinTV V8.5 that is free as a upgrade IF one still has their original WinTV V7 installation CD. I still have my V7 CD so downloaded and installed the more recent V8.5. The WinTV V8.5 installed without issue and promptly scanned all the channels quickly and without any issues. WinTV V8.5 is up and running, ready to record. I then used MP 2.1.1 to scan the channels again. Now the TV configuration tool can see channels during scanning but unfortunately still crashes the same way before reporting completion. However, by looking to see what it got for channels, it successfully got some number of them. Regardless, it looks like a mess to clean up, hard to make sense out of what was obtained with some same channels seeming to appear up to four or five times in the same list, and "remapping" or "copying" those channels over to the other remaining three tuners does not appear to be simplified "user friendly" to do. Also, one has to wonder what is missing or if what is there is actually going to work when the configuration tool is crashing. All this versus WinTV V8.5 nailing it first time it scanned and looking quite simple to use. With that, it is difficult for me to say the Hauppauge cards cause scanning problems, but more the MP configuration tool with, whatever else MP that is involved, has problems with it.

I have to say my opinion of the moment is Hauppauge WinTV has the advantage of only needing to address Hauppauge tuner cards while MP is attempting to work with the entire world of boards and every country there is. Making MP, with its desire for powerful adaptation, far more complicated by its very nature. I suspect changing a few settings would get MP 2.1.1 configuration tool up and going, but ferreting out what those settings are appears to unfortunately be an hours long task requiring multiple weekends of reading, trial and error to get it up and going, and very few straight forward threads on the forum about it. I imagine the later is caused by everyone around the world having different concerns going on. I'm normally rather stoic about such challenges, but the time I already have into this has already been very significant.

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
OK, I've read your postings there. Looks like issues of the TV Engine in connection with Hauppauge cards. I recall some recent discussions where @mm1352000 posted around the Hauppauge topic. Not sure though if that led to a resolution. Discussions should continue there though.

MP has no general problem in coexisting with virus scanners, for sure not with MS Defender that comes with Win 10.

Hello to anyone reading through this. I found another thread called " MediaPortal 2.1 Final unable to access configuration"
and a small part of this discussion took place there. So hoping HTPCSourcer doesn't mind, I am quoting here to combine the thread information for other readers.

Cordraconis

Portal Pro
July 26, 2016
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
ah sorry, I missed the part where you had TWO cards...

Having the same channel multiple times after a partial scan+crash is exactly what I had. I guess - from reading the other thread - that the issue with my hauppauge card is still not fixed, however since I dont have to scan anymore (= I did it manually) I also dont have crashes anymore and everything is "useable" for me.

So the workaround (other than getting the hauppauge guys to fix it) has been posted here on the forum: get a list of frequencies for all your channels and manually put them *once* in the list.

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
ah sorry, I missed the part where you had TWO cards...

Having the same channel multiple times after a partial scan+crash is exactly what I had. I guess - from reading the other thread - that the issue with my hauppauge card is still not fixed, however since I dont have to scan anymore (= I did it manually) I also dont have crashes anymore and everything is "useable" for me.

So the workaround (other than getting the hauppauge guys to fix it) has been posted here on the forum: get a list of frequencies for all your channels and manually put them *once* in the list.

I apparently do not comprehend how to properly manually input channels. I keep getting an error message telling me I've not used the correct channel number. I've looked up what I thought was the correct information on TV channels in my area, but it must not be the needed information. Here is a spreadsheet of it. What should have?

Attachments

• Portland TV Channels.pdf
    199.5 KB

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
however since I dont have to scan anymore (= I did it manually) I also dont have crashes anymore and everything is "useable" for me.

get a list of frequencies for all your channels and manually put them *once* in the list.

Ok... what is all this stuff and how/where do I get this information for all the channels in my area that I want to manually input? Please see attached file.

Attachments

• Channel Info.jpg
    Channel Info.jpg
    30.6 KB

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
Said I'd report back in. After, yet again, another full day of messing around with this, I have failed in being able to get the TV configuration tool to scan without a crashing lockup and file damage that forces a minimum of a system restore to get the configuration tool working again. This is with installation of the older Hauppauge driver for the 2250's recommended in other threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom