TV Cropping & 16:10 Monitor (1 Viewer)

Lardy

Portal Pro
April 16, 2007
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi All,

I am from Australia have recently upgraded my computer hardware and now I have enough grunt to view HD TV channels with no performance issues. I have a 24" Dell monitor with a 16:10 (1920x1200) aspect ratio.

In the past when I could only view SD channels I would crop the signal like so - T,R,B,L=4,39,4,39 - and view TV in fullscreen/stretch to maintain the proper aspect ratio.

The HD channels show a resolution of 1920x1080 (plus other resolutions which I won't go into now) and the crop settings have to be adjusted like so - T,R,B,L=4,102,4,102 to maintain proper aspect with fullscreen/stretch.

The content/programs shown differ from SD to HD, so I wish to keep viewing the SD channels as well.

Any suggestions on how I can watch my TV in fullscreen and maintain the proper aspect on all channels without having to manually edit the crop settings every time I switch between a SD & HD channels? I guess ideally I would like to be able to enter the crop settings for each channel individually, but searching the forums seems to suggest this is not possible.

noonereallycares

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Melbourne
Home Country
Any suggestions on how I can watch my TV in fullscreen and maintain the proper aspect on all channels without having to manually edit the crop settings every time I switch between a SD & HD channels? I guess ideally I would like to be able to enter the crop settings for each channel individually, but searching the forums seems to suggest this is not possible.

Iirc, the crop settings are tuner-specific. With that in mind, it should be possible to use multiple tuners to handle the SD / HD channels. With a tuner dedicated to the HD channels, it should be possible to crop those independently of the SD channels. Keep in mind that the ABC HD feed is only 720 though.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will point out any errors in my logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom