TV deinterlacing settings (1 Viewer)

dodge586

May 7, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi

I'm wondering how people configure deinterlacing for TV pictures - particularly in the UK.

Do you tend to leave everything standard? Or is some tweaking recommended?

I have TBS6281 which is a DVB-T2 card. I watch mostly HD Channels at 1080i but also some standard def.

I use a 42" Sony LCD TV rather than a monitor connected by HDMI on an Nvidia GPU.

My desktop is set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

In Nvida settings "inverse telecine" is enabled, but noise and edge enhancement is set to "use player settings".

Is anything obviously wrong with that?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No, but you should set your desktop to 50Hz (as you are in Europe). The nVidia settings are 'to taste', basically, so experiment a little ;)

dodge586

May 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Thanks. It's at 60Hz because I also l play games on the same machine - will it be detremental to video?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Only in the sense that motion will not be smooth - it doesn't affect deinterlacing etc.

MP can automatically change the display refresh rate for you - see the Wiki page for Dynamic Refresh Rate

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    I've noticed that no matter what I set it doesn't actually seem to be deinterlacing. It's most noticeable when watching BBC News HD as you can see it in the news ticker running across the bottom of the screen.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The deinterlacing settings only do anything if you are using VMR9 (only for Win XP) as the video renderer.

When using EVR renderer (default for Vista/Win7/Win8 etc) the deinterlacing is controlled by the LAV Video Decoder settings - see below for the usual setup which should use the hardware deinterlacing on the GPU (which all modern GPUs can do):

LAV_video_settings.jpg

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Thanks for that, looks like I had software deinterlacing enabled for some reason I've unchecked that and will see if it cures the issue.

Iwen

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ha, you saved me some configuration time. I always set the deeinterlacing settings in MP and then double check with the settings in LAV. Good to know that the MP setting is only for VMR9 mode. Would be cool if that setting is greyed out or vanished if you choose EVR (which should be the case for most users).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom