TV displays everything EXCEPT VIDEO (1 Viewer)

johnofe

December 14, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
i am very familiar with this problem, but i dont know how to fix it.
MCE is/was the only program EVER that would display the video on my TV screen, every other program (such as real player etc etc) would show up as a black window. i can see everything elce: the buttons, menues, etc.
but the window where the video is displayed shows up black on the TV when i can see it working find on my XGA output (my computers monitor).
itsreally annoying, how does MCE do it? its the only thing on my computer which can display video on the video (yellow plug AV output).

i dont have MCE anymore, my computer crashed and i had to reload WinXP prof. i lost MCE, and MP is my replcement, which by the way is far better apart from the fact that i can view it on my TV screen.

hope theres hope for me :)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could you fill out the support template so we can understand what hardware and software you're using and hopefully have a better chance of helping you. This can be found as a sticky in the Support forum.

Are you connecting to your TV with S Video or Composite? What media are you trying to play back?

Always good to see another Kiwi on board!

m0rt

Portal Pro
    November 29, 2005
    Bolton, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    johnofe said:
    the window where the video is displayed shows up black on the TV when i can see it working find on my XGA output

I had the same problem a while back and I think it was something to do with the TV output on my gfx card being set to secondary display. My PC monitor was the primary display. If I switched them I got the reverse problem you're having.... video fine on TV/black screen on Monitor!

I was able to set both of my displays to "Primary Displays" and it fixed the problem. I did it in Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced->Displays(I think?)
    Hope that's some help to you. Sorry if not!

m0rt

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    mOrt is probably correct. This is a very common problem when people are connecting laptops to projectors. Switch primary/secondary display and let us know.

Knut

johnofe

December 14, 2005
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That totally worked!

HAH! thanks guys, i canged my settings to make the TV primary display.

my tv is pluged in via composite video output, which is part of the video card which my monitors pluged into; same drivers basilcy.

i use ATI driver for my video controlers/card, its control panel (found by display properties and 'advanced' settings for the selected monitor).
    the ATI control pannel shows advanced settings serpartly for both TV and Monitor. however i did not change any of these (but i tried), insted from the normal disply properties found in the MS control pannel; i just clicked the TV (display 2) and checked the box to make it my primary monitor.

all im doing now is finding a way to prevent everything i execute from starting up on my TV screen :)
    when i find out how, i will be sure to tell if you havent tolde me yet.
    thanx! you lot are a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom