TV Guide, Editing, and Encoding Questions (1 Viewer)

ohm470k

March 25, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueWide
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate 32 & 64 on differnent installs
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 4200
HDD: 640 GB on Drive C: plus a 200GB UATA, 250GB SATA, and 500GB SATA
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Neo
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT
Video Card Driver: 7.15.11.7813
Sound Card: on board
Sound Card AC3: on board
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.6000.16386
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1800
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: Philips 42in LCD
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hey folks, HTPC noob here. First off, thanks to the devopers of Media Portal since it is the only free app that has been able detect my clear qam digital and hdtv channels. The above specs are for my current install on the 640GB drive I listed which will be installed later in a separate case with some different components in my family room.

That said, I'm having trouble with the tv guide setup. I live in the US and have Comcast HDTV cable service. I find that MP has maybe too many options and is not automatic enough for a noob to HTPC. Does anyone know of a process, thread, or guide for getting the program listings for the digital/hdtv channels in the tv guide in North America? I have searched endlessly though the site and tried webepg and xmltv but i have not had any luck. For example, I have the channel names edited in tvserver, which they show up in media portal fine, but can't even import them in webepg config program. I could really use a step by step idiot proof guide for setting up the tv guide.

Also, what do you guys use for editing out commercials and reencoding .mpg from MP. I like to edit with tmpgenc mpeg editor and convert and to xvid with autogk, but the ac3 audio created in using MP is not found or read properly in these programs. The analog programs recorded with the WinTV 6 software that came with my card work fine with the above software but they do not contain 5.1 AC3 audio.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

ohm470k

March 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for your quick response. I'll give those links a try.

ohm470k

March 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks so much guys for your help. After a little trial and error, I was able to get the tvguide to work and have got some shows scheduled to record. VideoRedo Suite works almost perfectly. It edits the commercials and, so far, leaves me with a file whose audio autogk can recognize. :)

Users who are viewing this thread