TV has no surround sound ? (1 Viewer)

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
PoWerBaR said:
would be a great idea, becase most of htpc will have a 5.1 sys to deal with... and the only trick is, to get the rear speakers to play the same like the front, the middle one both, and the subwoofer only the low passages... thats all ;)

My htpc is connected to my 5.1 receiver by way of a digital spdif cable and I have no problems getting 5.1 sound. You just need to enable it in what ever codec/filter you are using.

PoWerBaR

Portal Member
December 29, 2005
chili said:
PoWerBaR said:
would be a great idea, becase most of htpc will have a 5.1 sys to deal with... and the only trick is, to get the rear speakers to play the same like the front, the middle one both, and the subwoofer only the low passages... thats all ;)

My htpc is connected to my 5.1 receiver by way of a digital spdif cable and I have no problems getting 5.1 sound. You just need to enable it in what ever codec/filter you are using.

my one is connected via the analog soundcard... and when the film hasnt 5.1 then theres only stereo... but it works with mp3s or films which are stereo perfect. onky dvb-t doesnt work?!

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
chili said:
If you have a 7.1 sound card and surround speakers why are you using just the 2 channel output?

Are you connecting to a surround receiver? I ask because most have some type of matrix surround option for 2 channel input.

Not sure if this was directed towards me since im running 5.1 on my 7.1 car and using front/rear/center/sub outputs on the card.

I did however say that I only have 1 line input and obviously it only supports 2 channels since its only 1 jack input and my tv card only has 1 output which is also only stereo since its only 1 jack and its not digital out.

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
PoWerBaR said:
chili said:
PoWerBaR said:

my one is connected via the analog soundcard... and when the film hasnt 5.1 then theres only stereo... but it works with mp3s or films which are stereo perfect. onky dvb-t doesnt work?!

same here, its odd how mp3's will work on all the speakers but tv only on the front 2.

And yes all my codecs are set to force 5.1 not stereo

thechad

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Geelong, Australia
Home Country
Hi,

I am having the same problem. Have 5.1 channel output from sound card and all speakers are used in DVD's and MP3. However only front left and right are used for TV. Now I am assuming the TV is only broadcast in stereo and this would be the problem, but is there any codec we can use to upmix stereo sources to 5.1?

PoWerBaR

Portal Member
December 29, 2005
i do use the same... and i noticed another thing:

some channels broadcast their evening films in dolby digital... an these films work with all 5.1 speakers... but because it was late and i wanted to use my earphones, i put every codec to stereo and enabled "dpownmix acc to stereo"... but still it had no effect! i didnt get it working with my earphones!

--> mp 1.3 & this codec with the very long name which includes "acc/.../.../.. codec" dont remember the correct name ;)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    any solution yet ?
    I am just seeing the same
    using Hauppuage PVR2 (hardware encoding) - when watching TV in normal mode, everything is stereo only, when using timeskew , I hear nice surround.

everything else is surround too.

klinsek

Portal Member
    February 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Same issue here. When I play a DVD through PowerDVD I get full 5.1. When I use the codecs for PowerDVD in MP, I get regular surround output to all speakers. Im going through SPDIF.

Wish this issue could get sorted out.

SCHRANK

February 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    My two rear speaker never work while watching TV. They are also not working when the movie has 5.1 Surround output. Any Idea? How have i to setup the Mediportal configuration to get 5.1 when I'm watching a 5.1 Movie?

For all others, i have got a realtek HD Audio an in the mixer there is a settings symbol (small spanner) a the bottom of the mixer. There I can select stereo surround so all 2 channel audio signals are mixed up. For via soundcards is a similar setting in the vinyl mixer (I can take a look if you want to).

thx for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom