[TV] - HD-PVR TV freezes After Channel Change When using SPDIF (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi mm,

I think you'd be shocked at how much cable/satellite service in the USA costs - It's hard to stay under about $80/month unless you have the total basic package, and the sad thing about having many channels is that there still never appears to be anything on TV, unless you like the latest random reality show of the day. I saw ads today for a new reality show on rodeo girls.... I have no comment on how low TV has sunk lately... LOL ... anyway...

I was doing some reconfiguring today with my system and saw the following setting in the Timeshift configuration screen:

"Wait for unscrambled signal
    When a channel is scrambled (decrypted) the tv server will try to decrypt the tv stream as long as the tv card has a cam (see CAM enabled and present for this card). If the tv server wasn't able to tune into the channel after this time(default: 5 seconds) it will time out."

This looks similar to what we are discussing in this thread, but I'm sure this value has no impact on the HD-PVR capture, would it?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think you'd be shocked at how much cable/satellite service in the USA costs - It's hard to stay under about $80/month unless you have the total basic package...
    Heh. Sky basic costs ~$46 NZD/month (~$40 USD) for 55 channels, of which 18 are free OTA or on other satellites. Only 3 of those channels are HD... and those channels are available in HD OTA for free. Have to pay extra for sport, movie and special interest channels... and you can't get these channels without paying for the basic package. It is quite ludicrous.

...and the sad thing about having many channels is that there still never appears to be anything on TV, unless you like the latest random reality show of the day. I saw ads today for a new reality show on rodeo girls.... I have no comment on how low TV has sunk lately... LOL ... anyway...
    LOL :ROFLMAO:

I was doing some reconfiguring today with my system and saw the following setting in the Timeshift configuration screen:

"Wait for unscrambled signal
    When a channel is scrambled (decrypted) the tv server will try to decrypt the tv stream as long as the tv card has a cam (see CAM enabled and present for this card). If the tv server wasn't able to tune into the channel after this time(default: 5 seconds) it will time out."

This looks similar to what we are discussing in this thread, but I'm sure this value has no impact on the HD-PVR capture, would it?
    Those timeouts (including the ones in the general section scan tab) are not fixed delays. They set an upper limit on how long TV Server will wait for a certain condition - in this case, detecting an unscrambled stream. This doesn't help for the HD-PVR because TV Server completes its channel change before the external tuner has started its channel change. In other words, TV Server changes on the current/previous channel stream. It will always immediately detect that the stream is running. The real trick would be to get it to wait for the stream to stop and restart again...

I note that this problem only happens with S/PDIF so if you are willing, you could sacrifice the 5.1 audio for stereo...

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    I note that this problem only happens with S/PDIF so if you are willing, you could sacrifice the 5.1 audio for stereo...

Very true, and I agree that this is the case, however, once you go 5.1, it's really *really* hard to go back to standard stereo audio :D

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Hmm... I might have a similar issue with channel changing freezing. I have experience freezing on my singleseat server/client... And it happens to also be using SPIDF for 5.1. And while I don't have an external HDPVR, I do have an external cablecard tuner (ceton eth 6).

In contrast, I don't experience the channel change freezing on my upstairs client only using stereo.

I'd love to help test if something can be done.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Sigpi007

The freezing issue you're seeing is almost certainly nothing to do with the problem discussed in this thread. Same symptoms; different problem. I've taken a quick look at the logs you posted in the CableCARD thread. They're quite long and there are a zillion exceptions so it will take some time for me to work out exactly what is going on.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom