TV not deinterlacing / Windows 7 dvbt jumpy (1 Viewer)

diecastblue

Portal Member
January 30, 2008
EDIT: I have upgraded to W7, please see post #5

MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3wide
Windows Version: XP SP3
Video Card: Onboard intel
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD / CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freeview NZ DVBT

TV played through 'My TV' does not seem to be deinterlaced, and makes it unwatchable/ Same thing if I play recorded TV in 'My TV'
If I add my recorded TV directory to 'My Videos' and watch through there, it looks fine.

'My TV' http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5004/mytv.jpg
'My Videos' (And playing via media player classic etc) http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4571/myvideos.jpg
Link to video I recorded for screen shots above (~50MB) Bourne Ultimatum - TV3 - 2010-11-08 - 8_30 p.m..ts

Why?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: TV not deinterlacing

SINCE you're running an OLD version of MP (1.0.2) you have the ability to select different codecs for TV and Video. I'd look at the codecs and their deinterlace settings. If you decide to upgrade to MP 1.1.1 then all .ts files will be played by the codec selected under TV.

diecastblue

Portal Member
    January 30, 2008

OK, I have got rid of PowerDVD and selected CoreAVC to do the decoding (When I originally went to use CoreAVC, it was only showing the middle 10% of the image cropped and stretched to full screen, so not sure why it's working now).
    So the reason it was looking fine in "My Videos" was it was using CoreAVC, and PowerDVD codec in My TV. I could not get PowerDVD to play back through media portal without some form of horrible interlacing artifacts.
    CoreAVC still looks a bit jerky to me, I think it is a vsync issue, but can't find a way to turn vsync on with my on board graphics card, still is 100% more watchable than before.
    Is there any good reason interlacing still exists in the digital age!? The only reason I can see is bandwidth, but I would much rather a 720p over a 1080i.

Anyway, I didn't realise we were up to version 1.1.1. I think I will swap out the OS disk this weekend, and try Windows 7 and 1.1.1. The HTPC is one of the last in my house to still be XP anyway.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

in the setup app u can look under the "general" tab for "Dynamic refresh rate changer" - switch it "on" , "force reset" and "force refresh rate"

ive found it a HUGE help for MP to automatically change the refresh rates on the fly since im getting tv at 50hz blu rays at 24hz and otherwise using the PC at 60hz for games

also the MS DTV video decoder(mpeg2) that comes with Win 7 is amazing for watching TV here in australia

diecastblue

Portal Member
    January 30, 2008

OK, so it took a bit longer than I thought, but I finally got around to putting Windows 7 on. Then spent many hours screwing around with codecs (learning about codecs :)) So for this post (I have changed back to XP so we can still watch TV in the mean time) my system has changed to:

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3wide
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x86
    Video Card: Onboard intel
    h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freeview NZ DVBT

So what I have found: WMP12 that comes with Win7 does not seem to use third party codecs, eg CoreAVC, ffdshow etc, so I installed media player classic to play with. I trailed CoreAVC, PowerDVD, ffdshow and the built in windows codec. All of them play the media OK, but the only one that plays with out any jumps etc is CoreAVC. Also my TV reception is not the best, and I occasionally get what looks like corrupt packets or similar, and CoreAVC is the only one that will deal with this in an acceptable way, others pause the video and stutter, (till the next keyframe?)

So CoreAVC it is, but there are still issues:

CoreAVC on the DVBT streams still has weird interlacing issues, and looks pretty terrible through any player. From other threads people with the same issue have set CoreAVC not to do any deinterlacing, and have done post processing with ffdshow to deinterlace.

When playing TV Streams, live or recorded in Mediaportal, with any codec, the picture is jumpy and unwatchable . Playing the same recorded stream in any player outside of mediaportal, with any codec, the video is much much better. CPU ~50% in both cases.

So my three questions,

1. how would I go about post processing CoreAVC decoded TV with ffdshow, to handle de-interlacing
    2. Why when playing video through mediaportal does it suck so much :) (can I set Mediaportal to just use system default codecs, rather than forcing it to use specified ones? I see there is an option for video but not for TV/TS files, this will require downgrade to WMP11 I assume)
    Also 3. Is there an application that can tell me what codecs etc are currently being used? I can set ffdshow to display an OSD, so I at least know when it is being used, but in WMP12 / mediaportal I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom