TV program "description" field is not complete (1 Viewer)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I've had this problem as long as I've been using MediaPortal and it's TV feature.

The issue is that for some programs the program description in EPG is not complete. I think this is the case when the description exceeds some limit. This also happens on different channels.

I checked the database where the program.description field is type "text" so the limit should not be the database field. Anyhow, the description text stored in the database is not complete so it gets cut before it is saved to database. Also it is possible that there is something wrong with the broadcasting.

Is there any way I could debug this issue further or any ideas what may be causing it? I'm using DVB-C tuner and DVB EPG grabbing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is possible that the limitation is a buffer size somewhere in the TsWriter EPG code.
    Finding that might take some effort.
    I had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.
    I'd suggest you try using the EPG Collector and see if the description is also cut off in the XMLTV file that it generates.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

mm

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    It is possible that the limitation is a buffer size somewhere in the TsWriter EPG code.
    Finding that might take some effort.
    I had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.
    I'd suggest you try using the EPG Collector and see if the description is also cut off in the XMLTV file that it generates.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

mm

Thanks for pointing me to EPG Collector. It seems that this problem is also visible there since the XML which was produced by EPG Collector has program descriptions which are not complete.

I think the next step would be to find a fellow Finnish citizen with DVB-C MediaPortal TV setup and see if he also has these problems or is it up to my tuner perhaps.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Finish DVB EPG sucks. Period. Our broadcasting company,Digita (now French company), is doing a subpar work on their behalf. There was even some years ago some public discussion about the truncated EPG description fields and the "answer" was that it is too expensive to send the EPG in long EIT descriptor. Can you believe that? So, nothing to fix on MP side but instead all we can do is to nag to Digita's direction (which seems to be quite pointless).

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Finish DVB EPG sucks. Period. Our broadcasting company,Digita (now French company), is doing a subpar work on their behalf. There was even some years ago some public discussion about the truncated EPG description fields and the "answer" was that it is too expensive to send the EPG in long EIT descriptor. Can you believe that? So, nothing to fix on MP side but instead all we can do is to nag to Digita's direction (which seems to be quite pointless).

Ok, thanks for this info. I'll keep living with the issue like I've done since MP 0.2.3.0 or something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom