TV recordings short / failing (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm using the latest version of TV Server with Kodi MP PVR.

I've had this strange thing happening where recordings either keep failing or only record say 10 minutes of a 60 minute show.

I've got 2 x quad TBS DVB S2 tuners, 6 tuners wired to Astra 28.2 and the remaining 2 are to Astra 19.2 and hotbird 13e.

I also have 1 x quad TBS DVB T2 tuner which I use for UK freeview.

Anyway, Im hoping to have a few questions answered...

1) Whilst a TV programme is recording, if I go into 'my recordings' and try to play a show that's currently recording will this cause problems?

2) Is it better to have 'timeshifting' folder on the same drive as 'recorded tv' or separate?

3) With 6 dvb s2 tuners setup, should I be able to watch 1 channel and record 5 different channels on different transponders at the same time?

I have all cards tuned, tv channels mapped correctly, priorities set correctly in tv server and plenty of HDD space. Locally in 'my recordings folder' the file sizes reflect the short recordings.

I've had a quick look through my logs but need to investigate further.

I've never had an issue with recordings previously. I would be able to record a load of tv at the same time and everything would work really well and successfully.

Any help appreciated.

Il get logs ASAP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1) Whilst a TV programme is recording, if I go into 'my recordings' and try to play a show that's currently recording will this cause problems?
    No, not in normal circumstances. Of course computers being what they are, one can never completely rule a possibility to be completely out of the question without first checking the evidence.

2) Is it better to have 'timeshifting' folder on the same drive as 'recorded tv' or separate?
    That depends on your definition of "better" and the characteristics (SSD or HDD, size, which controller they're connected to etc.) of the drives involved.

3) With 6 dvb s2 tuners setup, should I be able to watch 1 channel and record 5 different channels on different transponders at the same time?
    From a tuner perspective, yes. However your time-shifting and/or recording drives must also be able to handle the corresponding I/O traffic.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok thanks.

Would you mind having a look over my log files to see if the TV Server is functioning correctly?

Failing that I will talk to the Kodi guys to see if i can work this issue out.

I have my timeshift folder on a dedicated 120GB SSD connected via SATA 3.

Like ive said... I have ran TVServer with Kodi plugin for quite some time with the same setup and had no recording issues. I could also be watching tv and recording 5 or 6 other programmes which would always be successful and i wouldnt get live tv freezing up.

I set 2 channels to record last night, straight away one recording failed after 28 seconds, the other was successful.

Ive got a few more tests / checks i can complete first. Im tempted to install full MP setup and try scheduling some recordings via MP to see if these succeed.

Thanks for your support so far.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Would you mind having a look over my log files to see if the TV Server is functioning correctly?
    Sure, no trouble. Obviously I'll have to wait on you for access...

Failing that I will talk to the Kodi guys to see if i can work this issue out.
    Recording problems won't have anything to do with KODI.

I have my timeshift folder on a dedicated 120GB SSD connected via SATA 3.
    In terms of I/O bandwidth an SSD should be more than capable of time-shifting 6 streams.
    Note I assume you are aware of the consequences of using an SSD for time-shifting.

Like ive said...
    Yes, I understand the scenario, and I have an idea of what the problem may be... but I can't confirm without access to log files. Therefore if you want to save yourself time and frustration, please skip the tests and provide the log files at your earliest convenience.

Im tempted to install full MP setup and try scheduling some recordings via MP to see if these succeed.
    As above: the problem has nothing to do with the front end. It doesn't matter whether you use KODI or MP; you'll encounter the same problems. Therefore there's no point in such tests.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok,..

So last night (10/11/2016) i tried to record 3 shows, one recording completed successfully, the other 2 failed only recording 3 minutes of a 60 minute show. Kodi also brought up an error and froze up when the recordings started.

Ive attached what logs

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the log files. (y)
    The problem appears to be exactly what I expected. To cut a long story short, you can workaround by enabling preloading for all your tuners.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for your help.

ALL tuners are now preloaded. Log files cleared and 4 tv shows setup to record in the next couple of hours. I will feedback results.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    So last nights 4 x recordings were a success. All 4 shows recorded for the full duration.

My next problem is that when I set programs to record in kodi (ie more than 1 at the same time) i get a 'kodi is not responding error' and have re-load kodi.

If im watching television and multiple scheduled recordings start, Kodi also freezes up.

Here are the log files from last night.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So last nights 4 x recordings were a success. All 4 shows recorded for the full duration.
    Great. (y)
    Based on that result and past experience, I expect that the recommended config change has been successful. However, don't hesitate to let me know if the problem comes back.

My next problem is that when I set programs to record in kodi (ie more than 1 at the same time) i get a 'kodi is not responding error' and have re-load kodi.
    Sorry, I cannot help you with KODI problems. If you can reproduce the problem with MediaPortal then I'll be happy to look into it. Otherwise you'll need to get help over on the KODI forum.

If im watching television and multiple scheduled recordings start, Kodi also freezes up.
    I suspect this may have been solved by the previous config change. Please confirm.
    [edit: If it hasn't been solved, you'll have to take this problem to the KODI forum as well. I'm only able to help with MediaPortal problems.]

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Thank you for your help.

I will try 8x recordings at the same time and see what happens.

I will talk to the kodi guys about the 'Kodi not responding issue'. Once that's solved I need to get this dish motor back up and running to try out the signal lock work around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom