TV scheduler is not idiot-proof (1 Viewer)

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Re: apologies to jdiffend

vbgeezer said:
I apologise for any implication that your folks are idiots that was by no way my intention. It is a figure of speech that you yourself used when you posted a topic called 'TV scheduler is not idiot-proof' sorry to pick you up on this, but you said it not me. regardless I apologise for any offence caused I am sure you parents are lovely.
In case you hadn't noticed... I didn't post the topic, And nobody is lovely at 78. :D But they are well educated, intelligent people. Learning new stuff at that age just isn't as easy as it used to be. I think it's more of a habit thing than a learning thing.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ryber, no.
    Thats the easy way out.
    Think of 10 different ways and make them all optional in options.

No won't be done.

We have to think of the correct way, and sure some won;t like it but they will just have to get used by it.
    You can't please all, and I am sure that everyone can get used to a certain way of controlling.

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    MrMario64 said:
    Ryber, no.
    Thats the easy way out.
    Think of 10 different ways and make them all optional in options.

No won't be done.

We have to think of the correct way, and sure some won;t like it but they will just have to get used by it.
    You can't please all, and I am sure that everyone can get used to a certain way of controlling.

Hmm, okay then I'll opt for ENTER press = Record menu.

What do you use the EPG for mainly -> recording shows. But you can make a vote about it if you like.

And alternatively, if the context menu stays, make the first choice popup the record menu, so 2 x Enter presses = record menu.

...and Mario, what's wrong with easy solutions anyway?

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    because the easy solution is the easy one for the people thinking of the solution,
    but it's the harder one for the user.

"make this an option" is such an easy way out of a discussion but really is not good a lot of the times.

doing a lot with less options is the way to go.

skulls

Portal Member
    January 17, 2005
    Barcelona
    I agree with Mario that putting too many options is actually bad. I think many users will be scared to configure MP and you can't put an option on every single thing.

I'm all for simplicity and ease of use, especially when thinking the main use of MP -- you don't want to spend more time configuring it than actually using it right?

For instance, there's the thing with the fonts: for some the size is OK, for some others it is too small. I include myself in the second group, I'd rather have an oversized font (which is always easier to read) rather than tiny ones, even if you get more information that way.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    skulls said:
    For instance, there's the thing with the fonts: for some the size is OK, for some others it is too small. I include myself in the second group, I'd rather have an oversized font (which is always easier to read) rather than tiny ones, even if you get more information that way.

Well, the font size issue can be related to eyesight, size of TV, quality of TV, distance of TV from the viewer... lot's of variables you can't control. If they won't add a way to change the font size then someone will have to modify skins to get it. A skin editor might be a nice alternative and everyone would benefit no matter what they think of the other issues. And since it would be outside the main program they wouldn't need to modify it.

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    MrMario64 said:
    because the easy solution is the easy one for the people thinking of the solution,
    but it's the harder one for the user.

"make this an option" is such an easy way out of a discussion but really is not good a lot of the times.

doing a lot with less options is the way to go.

Okay, then if you don't want to do any of those, how about this:

Currently in EPG, both ENTER, F3 and F9 brings up to context menu. How about assigning one of those to the record menu (or let the userdo it in keys & sounds section of config.exe) ?

This could solve the whole issue - I can map any key to my Niveus remote... but Enter would be the logical choice IMO.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

nice discussion here! :)

Ok, i tried to sort out my thoughts. ;)

First of all, as Mario said, there will be now solution, that satisfies everyone. Because this mainly depends on the usage of the TV guide. I think there are two (three) groups:
    - people who use it to schedule records, they would like to have the recording menu
    - people who want to see whats going on at the moment on TV and change the channel
    - something in between, so those people want the context menu
    There maybee more groups. :)

More importand: Mario also said, that there should be a logical way for all modules. For example enter plays the a file (music/video) so in TV Guide this should change the channel. That's true, but is it logical?

I looked at my remote and something different came up to my mind. Perhaps more logical?
    - PLAY should start movies / musik / TV etc
    - ENTER / OK should call the context menu [1]
    - RECORD should call the record menu

[1] The context menu should show to the user what he can i do with this item / file. Play / record / delete / add to playlist / etc...The most common should be at the first place! E.g. PLAY for movies / music. RECORD for TV Guide, to browse fast with ENTER.

So, these are my thoughts. Any comments? :)

Flip.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

and additional notes (how refreshing a shower can be ;)):

- The context menu (called by ENTER imho), could not only show all possible features, it also could show the "shortcuts" for these features. E.g. the menu for movies:
    * Play movie (SPACE)
    * Show / Retrieve info (F3)
    * Delete (0?)
    * Add to playlist (Y)
    * etc.
    So the user sees all possibilties and learns how to call them directly. For remotes users it could show buttons instead of the keys (>,GREEN,RED,YELLOW,RED,etc.)

- OVERKILL (but a nice feature ;)): The user can design his own context menu, the order and the items.

Flip.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    FlipGer said:
    - people who use it to schedule records, they would like to have the recording menu
    - people who want to see whats going on at the moment on TV and change the channel
    - something in between, so those people want the context menu
    There maybee more groups. :)

I'd say a combo... see my next comments.

I looked at my remote and something different came up to my mind. Perhaps more logical?
    - PLAY should start movies / musik / TV etc
    - ENTER / OK should call the context menu [1]
    - RECORD should call the record menu

Here is what my Dish Network Dish Player does. It's simple and intuitive.

To bring up the guide while watching TV you press the guide button.

Arrow keeys scroll through the guide, up/down/left/right.

If you want to record a show that is highlighted, you press the record button. A Red circle appears with the program title to show it is set to record. Those circles show all scheduled recordings as you scroll through the guide. Now, the first time you press record, it records the show once. If you press it a 2nd time a 2nd red circle overlaps the first and it is a recurring recording. If you press the record button a third time it removes the dots and it removes the record event.

I think newer Dishplayers may bring up a record menu when you hit the record button.

To jump to the show selected in the guide there is a select or go button. Scroll till the show is highlighted you want to watch and then select it. If the show is in the future, the guide brings up information about the show such as synopsys, ratings, etc.

Pressing pause pauses live TV, stop asks if you want to stop recording (if you are).

If you have paused the channel and select another channel it will ask you if you want to go live before you can do this. If not it doesn't change the channel, if yes it goes live and switches channels.

For anything that changes settings you press a menu button. This is where you can make all kinds of settings that you set and forget.

[1] The context menu should show to the user what he can i do with this item / file. Play / record / delete / add to playlist / etc...The most common should be at the first place! E.g. PLAY for movies / music. RECORD for TV Guide, to browse fast with ENTER.

Which makes sense.

So, these are my thoughts. Any comments? :)

Under this topic do you have to ask? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom