TV scheduler is not idiot-proof (1 Viewer)

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
FlipGer said:
I looked at my remote and something different came up to my mind. Perhaps more logical?
- PLAY should start movies / musik / TV etc
- ENTER / OK should call the context menu [1]
- RECORD should call the record menu

Yes, it seems resonable that the record button should bring up the record menu. I don't use it for anything now since enter is the only key used in MyTV. And I have enter mapped to two buttons at the moment: play and ok.

I like your idea Flip - Mario what do you say?

skulls

Portal Member
January 17, 2005
Barcelona
Consistency across modules

I looked at my remote and something different came up to my mind. Perhaps more logical?

Now that was enlightening, I think it perfectly shows the need for consistency across modules, the same button should have similar effects in all modules, this will make MP more intuitive. Just remember that not all remotes have the same buttons, so it is important to stick to the 'universal' ones!

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Mine 2 cents to the idea of play, stop, record, ff, rew buttons work same way on each module.

ok / enter button should do something else than play eg context menu

CoolHammer

A

Anonymous

FlipGer said:
    Hi,

[1] The context menu should show to the user what he can i do with this item / file. Play / record / delete / add to playlist / etc...The most common should be at the first place! E.g. PLAY for movies / music. RECORD for TV Guide, to browse fast with ENTER.
    I totally agree with this!!

skulls

Portal Member
    January 17, 2005
    Barcelona
    Hi,

Coming back to the original topic of this thread (the scheduler), I now have a specific suggestion on how to improve the scheduler in MP (after submitting it to yet another elder test). I can see where the problem is now:

The problem is that it doesn't work like in a VCR's! In a VCR we are used to enter the time/date with the numbers on the remote control, whereas in MP you have to 'navigate' with the up/down-left/right buttons in a manner which is not intuitive (at least for me). So, why not make the following changes to the layout:

First of all, make the fonts bigger for god's sake! We don't want to put pages and pages of information, we just need to display a time, date and channel, usually from a distance of 2-3 meters (that's about 80-120 inches for non-metric users ;-). So that's the first point :D

Now, the idea to make each field modifiable with the arrow buttons might be a good idea if you are using a mouse, but to navigate it with a remote is quite unnatural. I would instead make each field 'promptable', so that you can actually enter the numbers with the remote e.g.:

'Channel'
    MTV

Starts: 'Time' 'Date'
    --:-- 11/02/2005

Ends: 'Time' 'Date'

'Ok'

The system may propose the date, and the up/down-left/right buttons for navigation. This is the way VCR's have worked for the last 20 years, if MP works the same way then it will be easier to use for 'late-adopters'

What do you think?

jdiffend

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    skulls said:
    Hi,
    First of all, make the fonts bigger for god's sake! We don't want to put pages and pages of information, we just need to display a time, date and channel, usually from a distance of 2-3 meters (that's about 80-120 inches for non-metric users ;-). So that's the first point :D

Now, the idea to make each field modifiable with the arrow buttons might be a good idea if you are using a mouse, but to navigate it with a remote is quite unnatural. I would instead make each field 'promptable', so that you can actually enter the numbers with the remote e.g.:

'Channel'
    MTV

Starts: 'Time' 'Date'

Ends: 'Time' 'Date'

'Ok'

The system may propose the date, and the up/down-left/right buttons for navigation. This is the way VCR's have worked for the last 20 years, if MP works the same way then it will be easier to use for 'late-adopters'

What do you think?
    Here is the response I expect.

Most of thst can be done through a skin.

You could make a VCR plugin or VCR+ plugin (the latter would have legal issues) where they could schedule recordings like that.

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    You can already enter time etc. with the number keys. Just select for examplle the hour part of the time and press the number keys (e.g 1 2) to enter the hour. This works for all spincontrols.

skulls

Portal Member
    January 17, 2005
    Barcelona
    yep, it works.

How about slightly changing the layout? since to get to 'Ok' you have to press 'down' instead of 'right'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom