MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey guys...
    Finally took MP2 for a spin.
    The main thing i was interested in was the implementation of the MP1 plugin MP-TVSeries as a main core feature of MP2.

I was somewhat left confused.. The original configuration of MP-TVSeries is nowhere to be found.

Upon reading the WiKi, i realised that TVSeries gets its information by "scrapping" the net.

What happens if it gets the information wrong ?? How does one edit the series information manually ??

Cheers.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey guys...
    Finally took MP2 for a spin.
    The main thing i was interested in was the implementation of the MP1 plugin MP-TVSeries as a main core feature of MP2.

I was somewhat left confused.. The original configuration of MP-TVSeries is nowhere to be found.

Upon reading the WiKi, i realised that TVSeries gets its information by "scrapping" the net.

What happens if it gets the information wrong ?? How does one edit the series information manually ??

Cheers.
    in MP2 the scrapping is automated and at the moment you can not directly change the results.
    To ensure 100% matching you can include TheTVDB number in brackets in the file, folder name or xml file.
    There might be a chance to edit the data with MP2 Edit, but I'm not sure about it. Basically there shouldn't be a need to do so, as with above procedure all series should be identified correctly.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Sadly atm there is no way to "correct" a wrongly identified series without re-importing it. Even MP2-Edit can't do this now. You can alter the descriptions and even the episodes titles, but first the series needs to be identified correct. This will change in near future but for now it can not be done. MP2 Edit is able to change/correct wrongly downloaded fanart and it also can import the "watched flags" from MPTVSeries (or MovingPictures, MyVideos and MyFilms) into MP2 so you don't loose your watched flags. And it can be used to do an automated and invisible backup of the whole MP2- Library. But due to technical reasons it can not add series or episodes manually and it also can not edit the series itself...

But if you prepare your collection just a little bit in the right way, there is no need to edit/correct series at all. I own more than 20.000 episodes and did not have a single wrong detection.

Easiest is to use properly tagged MKV videos. MP2 can read the Matroska tags and use them to identify the episodes correctly, no matter how they are named or placed... Second is to use the well known .nfo files, that are widely used excerpt for MPTVSeries. :cry: It's the only program/plugin of this kind I know about that don't support .nfo... You can generate .nfo files with various tools like tinyMediaManager, Ember or MKV-Buddy (the later also can be used for tagging MKV properly).

If you are not able or willing to use one of those 100% safe solutions you'll need to take care about the folder structure and the naming scheme. Most important is the name of the series folder. It needs to be named as close to the series name on TVDB as possible. You even can use foreign language series names to get an unique result. Before I've tagged all my MKV I had named some series folder in Swedish language as the German ones don't deliver an unique result. But all metadata and fanart was downloaded in my preferred language nevertheless...

Then you can use season folders if you want. But you did not need them. If you use them the season number should have at least two digits (a leading 0 for seasons 1 to 9) and it should be on the end of the Folder name. E.g. "Season 01" is working, "01.Season" is not...

The episodes filename should contain something like S01E01. If you have the series name in the episodes filename this did not hurt, but is is not used for identification of the series. That's why you need to take care about the folder name that much.

Specials needs to be named as "Season 00" and S00E01, not as "Specials" or similar to be recognized properly...

And MP2 is able to handle multiple (unlimited) episodes in a single file. MPTVSeries is limited to two episodes in one file. If you use e.g. DVD (BD) ISO images you can name them containing something like "S01E01E02E03E04E05" and MP2 will recognize (and import) this ISO as episodes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the first season of the series

If you have a series recognized wrong you need to rename the series folder to match the TVDB series name precisely. Then trigger a reimport of the share and the wrongly identified series should be gone and replaced by the correct one...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There is a bug somewhere in the system, either the system or the naming system.

1. I used Season 1 (not 01) and it worked fine, is this a bug or does the system accept this?
    2. Using the software "FileBot" (I understand this is an alternative to "The Renamer"), it renames some special episodes as such "Top Gear - 22x Special09 - Special Episode". This is what it recommends from TheTVDB, but MP2 doesn't recognise those files.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I used Season 1 (not 01) and it worked fine,
    Maybe this is build in lately. Didn't tried it since a long time as I always have Season 01...

Top Gear - 22x Special09 - Special Episode
    This I even can't recognize. How the hell a stupid computer should do this..

If this should be the episode "Best of Season 22" then it has to be named something like S00E81. Specials must be named as Season zero. Nothing else is working...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi.
    This I even can't recognize. How the hell a stupid computer should do this..

If this should be the episode "Best of Season 22" then it has to be named something like S00E81. Specials must be named as Season zero. Nothing else is working...

I did think something was wrong. Maybe FileBot need to rethink some bug in their naming system?
    Thank you for the confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom