TV-Server and stability (Can my wife handle it?) (1 Viewer)

WebKnight

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2006
    Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    if you use internet streams in my radio, these are NOT available in tv server

Thanx for the info, yes we do use internet streams for radio, but why doesn't this work with the new engine? Doesn't it only affect the MyTV part..?

The new server works great, for the most part. However, keep in mind that it is still very much beta, and should be treated as such. There will be bugs and your wife might not like having to restart MP when such a bug occurs. If your wife just wants to watch TV and gets unhappy when "all your techno gadgets start acting up" and she misses her favourite soup, then you might want to wait with switching a little while longer.

Unless you enjoy the peace and quite of sleeping on the couch j/k ;-)

Sleeping on my couch IS quiet, but ain't that comfy, so I think I'll wait ;)

..."all your techno gadgets start acting up" - hehe, right on target :)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would wait if I were you, especially if WAF is high with your current setup.

I say that because I went to version 0.2.1.0 (from a fully working 0.2.0.0 patch 4) and now I have no Video, the TV is black. (see this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=12237) Plus I cannot get any replies which will lead me toward a possible solution.

So if it ain't broke, don't try to go with the latest toys unless you explain (and she understands) what the new toys are to your wife and she wants you to go for it! Then you can tell her she was the one that wanted to go for it! LOL

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    well put mzemina. If you your wife is loving MP the way it is now, what do you have to gain by going to a very early beta? Unless she wants to watch MP on a laptop in the garden, thn she probably won't notice much of a difference and won't really care when you try to explain the benefit of services. Then agin, if there are any bugs with the setup of the new server she will definately notice and you will be in very deep trouble.

Seems like a pretty simple choice really...

LXB

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2005
    of course i cannot reflect all kinds of setups, but - except of the missing epg info atm - nothing here is less good than 0.2.1.
    tv works fine, i´ll say a little better regarding the channel switching (funny because some guys mentioned they have issues with that?) and slightly a better picture imho..
    only the rtsp problem makes me sleepless, but you cannot compare to 0.2.1.

so if you´re ready to spend a weekend for setting all up (as i did) you should end up having a faster tv switching system (here at least!). and the base (hopefully) for using the stream on other systems (i expect looking tv on my ipaq in the bath ;-))

just my 2cents - ys , LX.
    -------------------------------------
    hmm, now stuck within this: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=12378

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Been thinking about installing TVe3 myself, because... well... no reason, actually... just beeing a geek, I belive... since there are very few (?) advantages with TVe3 when not using server->client, I'll wait for next release (at least I hope I can wait).

My girlfriend (not married :D) has now accepted MediaPortal and its benefits since I got ridd of most of the bugs (choppy and unstable TV etc.). If I install TVe3 and this gives me hours of big-fixing.. well... I am afraid my beautifull EY855 (see avatar) has to take a long break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom