TV Server Config Problem - scan finds only one channel (1 Viewer)

g960

October 19, 2011
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional SP3
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card: GeForce 8500 GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Analog Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II TvTuner
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I didn't fill out the whole template but I figured that everything important is on there. I just recently found out I had an old Hp Media Center PC laying around picking up dust so i figured i might as well skip use it to skip commercial.

I connected my comcast box to the tvtuner card with a coaxial cable and connect the comp to the tv with s-video cable.Everything is working fine and I am able to view tv using MP, but when I scan for TV Channels it only finds signal on channel 3. This allows me to watch tv, but to switch channels I have to use my comcast remote (everything is slow and delayed though). Is there any way to scan for all channels and then use webEPG?

Eh...not sure if I'm explaining this well, but basically as of now i have one channel and on that I have bunch of sub channels and I can only change them if I use my remote like I do when I watch regular tv.

I've searched quite a bit but can't find anything to help. Any tip is much appreciated

**connecting cable directly into the computer bypassing the comcast box seems to fix the problem. The scan is now finding more channels. I would still like to know if I can use my comcast box and have all channels showing up
***Second edit...I take that back...the scan did find more channels but not all (i'm guessing it didn't find any digital channels)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome g960 :)

Everything is working fine and I am able to view tv using MP, but when I scan for TV Channels it only finds signal on channel 3.
    When you connect things up that way you only get to see the channel that the STB is tuned to.

This allows me to watch tv, but to switch channels I have to use my comcast remote (everything is slow and delayed though).
    That is normal.

Is there any way to scan for all channels and then use webEPG?
    No, not exactly. What you can do is set up a blaster to control the Comcast box. Details are -->here<--. Basically you create all the channels in MP and tell MP how to change channels on the Comcast box. Then MP automatically does what is needed to change channels on the STB when you change channels within MP. It is a little complicated and tedious but it can be done. Note that you still only get to watch or record one channel at a time, and you can't use the STB at the same time because MP will be controlling it.

**connecting cable directly into the computer bypassing the comcast box seems to fix the problem. The scan is now finding more channels. I would still like to know if I can use my comcast box and have all channels showing up
    ***Second edit...I take that back...the scan did find more channels but not all (i'm guessing it didn't find any digital channels)
    The scan would only find analog cable channels, which is only a small proportion of the channels that would be available - most channels are digital these days. You're correct - you don't have a digital tuner so that is part of the problem. Also note that many of the digital cable channels will likely be encrypted, so a digital tuner would help a little but it wouldn't give you every single channel (we don't support CableCard tuners right now). You *can* view encrypted channels with the blaster setup that I mentioned above because the Comcast box decrypts them before passing them to MP.

mm

g960

October 19, 2011
    Alright thanks for the quick response. Thought there might be something easier haha...but oh well not a big deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom