TV-Server Configuration fails to startup service

Discussion in 'Installation, configuration support' started by perky, January 23, 2014.

1. perky

perky Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Hi All,

I'm new here, first post. I'm hoping someone here can shine a light on this for me:
    Just installed MP1.6.0 Final on a clean Win7 pro machine but the TV-Service Configuration throws an exception (see below).

error.PNG

I've attached my log files. It appears the TVService can't be restarted, but I can manually stop and start the service with services.msc .

I'm running Win7 Pro on a completely clean install. I've disabled the firewall and have no anti-virus installed (yet!).
    Processor - AMD A8-6600K
    RAM - 4GB
    Disk - 120GB SSD

Thanks for the help,
    Mark.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. perky

perky Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Still having problems with this which is frustrating.

I installed on another machine and it works OK. I noticed that on that machine a manual start of TVService takes about 3 seconds, whereas on the failing machine a manual start takes about 10 seconds (but on both stopping the service is within 2 seconds). Also the failing machine issues a restart, which does eventually start the service but the exception is thrown just before the service actually starts, so I'm thinking it might be a timeout issue waiting for the service to start.

As an aside I tried the TVService.exe posted here:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3172

This handles the exception gracefully, however I still get logs claiming the TVService failed to start.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Mark.

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
  5. perky

perky Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Thanks for the reply.

I cannot get to the TV Server Configuration window as it throws an exception, but I can test the server in MediaPortal Configuration->TV/Radio and itworks because the TVService is running.

A bit of history: I bought a HTPC with MediaPortal pre-installed. I changed the PC name. I had issues with the above, so decided to uninstall everything including MySQL (full uninstall) and re-install again from scratch. So at some point my PC name changed and will have a different IP address to the original installation, but that (I hope) has been eradicated and replaced with a new one (unless there is still some hangover that the full uninstall hasn't removed?).

Thanks,
    Mark.

6. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Mark, full product installation only removes MediaPortal. It does not remove MySQL. So, unless you also uninstalled MySQL [including its databases - sometimes you have to delete the data directories manually], the old database would still be sitting around... and this would definitely explain the problem.

[edit: It is possible to configure TV Server to create a new database which is basically the equivalent of starting from scratch. To do that, follow the instructions here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-error.122574/#post-1037241

]

7. perky

perky Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Hi,
    I explictly uninstalled MySQL as well, when Mediaportal was re-installed it claimed MySQL was not installed and downloaded a new one and installed it. Do I have to explitly remove a database file somewhere too?[DOUBLEPOST=1390654425][/DOUBLEPOST]Success! I followed the configure-db trick in the link you posted and now the TV Server Configuration window comes up!
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Mark.

Last edited: January 25, 2014

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!