TV-Server Configuration fails to startup service (1 Viewer)

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
Hi All,

I'm new here, first post. I'm hoping someone here can shine a light on this for me:
Just installed MP1.6.0 Final on a clean Win7 pro machine but the TV-Service Configuration throws an exception (see below).

error.PNG

I've attached my log files. It appears the TVService can't be restarted, but I can manually stop and start the service with services.msc .

I'm running Win7 Pro on a completely clean install. I've disabled the firewall and have no anti-virus installed (yet!).
Processor - AMD A8-6600K
RAM - 4GB
Disk - 120GB SSD

Thanks for the help,
Mark.

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
Still having problems with this which is frustrating.

I installed on another machine and it works OK. I noticed that on that machine a manual start of TVService takes about 3 seconds, whereas on the failing machine a manual start takes about 10 seconds (but on both stopping the service is within 2 seconds). Also the failing machine issues a restart, which does eventually start the service but the exception is thrown just before the service actually starts, so I'm thinking it might be a timeout issue waiting for the service to start.

As an aside I tried the TVService.exe posted here:
https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3172

This handles the exception gracefully, however I still get logs claiming the TVService failed to start.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Mark.

perky

Portal Pro
January 23, 2014
Home Country
England England
Thanks for the reply.

I cannot get to the TV Server Configuration window as it throws an exception, but I can test the server in MediaPortal Configuration->TV/Radio and itworks because the TVService is running.

A bit of history: I bought a HTPC with MediaPortal pre-installed. I changed the PC name. I had issues with the above, so decided to uninstall everything including MySQL (full uninstall) and re-install again from scratch. So at some point my PC name changed and will have a different IP address to the original installation, but that (I hope) has been eradicated and replaced with a new one (unless there is still some hangover that the full uninstall hasn't removed?).

Thanks,
Mark.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Mark, full product installation only removes MediaPortal. It does not remove MySQL. So, unless you also uninstalled MySQL [including its databases - sometimes you have to delete the data directories manually], the old database would still be sitting around... and this would definitely explain the problem.

[edit: It is possible to configure TV Server to create a new database which is basically the equivalent of starting from scratch. To do that, follow the instructions here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-error.122574/#post-1037241

]

perky

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2014
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,
    I explictly uninstalled MySQL as well, when Mediaportal was re-installed it claimed MySQL was not installed and downloaded a new one and installed it. Do I have to explitly remove a database file somewhere too?[DOUBLEPOST=1390654425][/DOUBLEPOST]Success! I followed the configure-db trick in the link you posted and now the TV Server Configuration window comes up!
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Mark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom