TV Server Crashes After Recording Ends (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Sigpi007 , try attached filter version. I moved the opening code for IPTV case to Run() method, so if no data are received, then error is returned in Run() method instead of Load() method. In other words, it should not crash :)

I have updated/build the filter too but need to be tested on 1.10 or master code on my side :)
    Thanks Georgius :p

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @Sigpi007 , try attached filter version. I moved the opening code for IPTV case to Run() method, so if no data are received, then error is returned in Run() method instead of Load() method. In other words, it should not crash
    Thanks as always @georgius for your quick response... and to mm and Seb. I'm running Filter_P03 for the past few hours and it seems to be working. I was able to tune to channel 220 eventually before I installed this though, so not sure I have a great way to test how it handles errors or unexpected issues. I'll just keep running it and see what happens. If there is a way to break it, I'm sure my wife, mom, or 2-yr old son will figure out how to do it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Sebastiii
    Thanks for the links to the commits. (y)
    The PMT (changing service ID) fix would work for single program transport streams, which are the majority for IPTV. However, I think it would cause serious problems for normal multi-program transport streams. It is okay for a PMT PID to be shared by more than one program/service, so we can't use that way to check/determine the correct PMT PID and/or program number (service ID). Have to use the PAT.

The IPTV tuner fix is similar to what I expected: catch the Load() error/result code, and remove the filter from the graph if there is any error.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I was able to tune to channel 220 eventually before I installed this though, so not sure I have a great way to test how it handles errors or unexpected issues.
    You can probably engineer similar problems quite easily. ;)
    For example, pick one channel and change either the PMT PID and/or service ID (program number) to an incorrect value.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Sebastiii
    Thanks for the links to the commits. (y)
    The PMT (changing service ID) fix would work for single program transport streams, which are the majority for IPTV. However, I think it would cause serious problems for normal multi-program transport streams. It is okay for a PMT PID to be shared by more than one program/service, so we can't use that way to check/determine the correct PMT PID and/or program number (service ID). Have to use the PAT.

The IPTV tuner fix is similar to what I expected: catch the Load() error/result code, and remove the filter from the graph if there is any error.

Great, the PAT is used in TVE35 if i'm not wrong so all will be good with it :)

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Just checking in... filter is still working great. I think its picking up errors quite nicely. One thing that happened to me was that when I did a rescan of channels a week ago during an attempt to troubleshoot things... I noticed that some new channels were found which I was able to view and had not seen before. These worked for a day or two, and now no longer work again. (Not sure if my cable company was playing with settings or had a free channel promo that weekend.) Anyway... to make a long story short... these channels which no longer work do NOT crash the TV server. And in fact an error message appears quite quickly ("all free cards busy" or something like that).

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    More updates...

It's been about a month and I've found some channels that aren't working. Exhibiting the following symptoms...

1. Playing for a few seconds and then pausing.
    2. Tuning the channel but only showing a black screen.

The channels which do this are consistent about it... (AMC-HD is always a black screen... Fox News HD is one that pauses right away). I'll post logs when I have a chance to take over the family Mediaportal TV.

Other than these few channels, the performance has been quite nice. And the stability of the TV server has been exceptional.

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Okay! Had time to run my test scenarios and take notes. There are two sets of log files attached.

1. - FULL LOGS are just a dump of logs before I ran my tests
    2. - TEST SCENARIO LOGS are the logs I dumped after clearing out my log folders and running the tests below...

TEST PREP STEPS:
    - Stopped TV Service
    - Cleared log folders
    - Sent "refresh signal" through cable company to cable card to ensure no weird issue with cable card.
    - Waited 5 mins, restarted Ceton Eth 6 Cable Card Tuner
    - Started TV Server
    - Started MP Client at 5:58pm

TESTS... tuned to the following channels (mostly focusing on the known bad channels):

Tuned known good channels:
    5:59pm - 203 WMAQDT (okay tune, HD channel)
    6:00pm - 206 WGNDT (okay tune, HD channel)

Tuned known bad channels:
    6:01pm - 212 NBCSH (See pic/sound for 2 seconds then freeze. Stutter of pic/sound after about 25 secs, and continued freeze.)
    6:02pm - 86 NBCSP (Std Def version of channel 212 above... Black screen, audio for a brief sec then nothing)

6:04pm - 220 CSNHD (No tune... error message on EPG screen saying "unknown error occured")
    6:06pm - 65 COMCAST (Std Def version of channel 220 above... same error saying "unknown error occured")

Test a known good channel to ensure server still working
    6:06pm - AEHD (okay tune, HD channel)

Test known bad channels... common thread FOX network stations
    6:07 - 6:09pm... tested channels 231 FXHD, 234 FS1HD, and 248 FNHD... all HD cable package channels. All freeze.
    6:09 tested 202 WFLDDT... Fox broadcast station over cable... okay tune
    6:11 - 6:13pm... tested channels 90 FS1HD, 66 FX, and 59 FNC... all Std Def cable package channels... 2 out of 3 freeze... one black screen.

Stop MP Client... switched Audio from Direct Device to MP Audio Renderer... retest... no improvement.

Export log files

Not sure if this information gets you guys anywhere, but its what I'm seeing. With this said... a good 80% of my channels work fine. Just these channels are a problem. Interestingly enough... I'm pretty sure they were working before... at least 220 CSNHD because this is channel with a lot of sports.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Tuned known bad channels:
    6:01pm - 212 NBCSH (See pic/sound for 2 seconds then freeze. Stutter of pic/sound after about 25 secs, and continued freeze.)
    6:02pm - 86 NBCSP (Std Def version of channel 212 above... Black screen, audio for a brief sec then nothing)
    For unknown reason, remote server stops sending data. It is detected that no data are received within 5 seconds, so stream is restarted. Then server sends some data and again stops.

6:04pm - 220 CSNHD (No tune... error message on EPG screen saying "unknown error occured")
    6:06pm - 65 COMCAST (Std Def version of channel 220 above... same error saying "unknown error occured")
    No data at all. Sometimes server doesn't send response to initial OPTIONS request.

Test known bad channels... common thread FOX network stations
    6:07 - 6:09pm... tested channels 231 FXHD, 234 FS1HD, and 248 FNHD... all HD cable package channels. All freeze.
    I checked only FXHD, but it seems that it was external request to stop. Filter was receiving and sending data without any problem.

6:11 - 6:13pm... tested channels 90 FS1HD, 66 FX, and 59 FNC... all Std Def cable package channels... 2 out of 3 freeze... one black screen.
    Same as for first case, server stops sending data.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can't really add any information except to suggest to check the Ceton tuner web page after tuning the problematic channels, and monitor the copy protection, signal strength and signal quality (BER).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom