TV Server not waking for scheduled recording (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is not the first time this has happened for me, but it's the first time I can provide logs of the event (it doesn't happen all that often - but it's extremely annoying when it does!). All current logs attached.

The event occurred yesterday evening. A show (Outnumbered) was scheduled to record at 21.00. Just before this time I noticed that the PC had not woken, so I started it manually. TVServer immediately started to record. I have the system set to the default "wake 7 minutes before", but you can see from the file tvserver_TVservice.1.log that activity did not actually start for this show until [2014-02-26 20:56:09,645]. Now, TVServer had been running perfectly before this, in fact a scheduled show had been recorded earlier yesterday - see line beginning [2014-02-26 15:37:02,510] in the same file for the start of that session. Session seems to end properly at line beginning [2014-02-26 16:47:01,618]. The equivalent MP log file for this time period is Mediaportal.log. This records no activity during the recording in the afternoon, but I guess that's correct since the client would not have been used at all at that time. There's lots of other stuff I can't follow, but I can't see anything that helps me understand why TVServer was not woken for the 21.00 recording.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here please?[DOUBLEPOST=1393515621][/DOUBLEPOST]Neglected to say this is a very clean install of 1.6. Recently wiped everything clean (after backing up what I wanted!) reinstalled Windows 7 then installed 1.6. Nothing else running on this system.

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
Somewhat disappointed not to have got any comments at all! If the TV Service is not working reliably then I will need to look at other options. Don't want to because I really like all the other aspects of MP. However.....

So let me ask another way. What us the actual process of getting a schedule set up, and what actually wakes the system at the right time. I know the schedule was in the database - as soon as I switched on manually the recording started (this particular entry was created by WishList). What creates the signal to Windows to wake up. Is it TVServer? Or is it Powerscheduler? I know that Powerscheduler leaves the actual process of managing the suspend process to Windows, but what tells Windows to wake up for the next scheduled activity? Does some process create an entry for Windows Task Scheduler to manage?

Basically I want to know what is going on here so that I can have some more idea of where to look for my problem.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Disclaimer: I did not look at the logs.

You have to make sure that the PC is sent to sleep by MediaPortal if MediaPortal is supposed to wake it up. If you send your PC to sleep by pressing e.g. the power button of your remote, you must set up windows to ignore clicks to the powerbutton. Else windows will send the PC to sleep, and no wakeup can be scheduled by MP. This is the case e.g. by use of the MCE remote, which has the power button mapped to the power button on the PC.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure that's not how my system is working, but I'll make quite sure.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Another tip is to make sure that it is TV-server power scheduler that sends the PC to sleep. MP power scheduler (MP Configuration) should be activated, but not configured to send the PC to sleep. The MP plugin makes sure that TV-Server does not send the PC to sleep while in use.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    That one I can answer immediately - my system is configured as you describe (I got caught by that one a long time ago). I've checked the other and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the cause. I don't use an MCE remote anyway (Hauppage) but in any event the power button on the remote is not configured to do anything to shut down the PC, only the TV and the amplifier.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you can shut down your PC with your remote when MP is not running, it is configured wrong. If this is not the case, someone will need to investigate this issue.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I cannot do this. My remote (Logitech Harmony One) is configured only to turn the TV and amplifier off/on. Within MP it controls only activities.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    This morning, a variation on the theme. I have WebPG configured to wake every morning at 09.00 to grab. Usually no problem at all. TVWishlist is configured to run at 09.03. Again, usually no problem. This morning the wake up and grab worked. However, the machine shut down at [2014-03-04 09:02:09,798]. This is in the MediaPortal.log file. TVWishList never got to run!

As can be seen elsewhere in the logs, MP knows that standby is handled by Windows - set to 5 mins. inactivity.

So why did suspend happen early. Can this possibly be something to do with MP setup. Or do I have another problem with Windows/hardware somewhere.

Any help much appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1393932844][/DOUBLEPOST]Logs attached

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom