TV server on windows embedded? (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Would mediaportal ever be updated so TV server could run on a standalone machine running windows embedded?

The reason I ask is I'm using windows embedded to run my client bedroom PC and it's been working a treat. I've had minimal problems with it, everything loads and works pretty well, am now realising building and using a dedicated PC purely for home theatre is better than using TV server on a standard windows 7 home
Premium machine that's also used for loads of other stuff. Seems as though any kind of update or software install has an impact on MP's performance (or at least I'm finding that).

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you actually tried to install TV Server on Windows embedded?
    If so, what went wrong?
    Just because we don't say "it works" in our system requirements section doesn't mean it won't. It means we won't be able to provide support if you choose to run MP in that environment. We're quite a small team and as such have to focus on supporting the configurations that the majority of the community use.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Yes I have tried. Installation will not load up on embedded when you select an installation other than client. Tried it a few times just using the standard installer on different Wes profiles. No joy. In the end reverted to win7.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can you give more detail? In general you have to run the installer to select the type of install... so to say it won't load up is confusing me.
    I take it you have ensured the prerequisites are installed. VC++2008 and 2010 runtimes, .NET 4.0 etc.?

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    I've tried this morning again to run tv server on wes7.

everything installs without any problems using the standard MP 1.6 installer. Net framework 4.0 is installed.

When I open 'media portal configuration' everything works as normal. When I try to open 'mediaportal tv server' nothing happens. I've restarted my system and still no joy.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Manually re-installed all the required components for the Tv server. Everything I'd expect to show up running in services is doing so. When I log on I get a message saying 'tv service is not running start it now?' So I click yes. I try and open the tv service configuration and it won't load, that's via desktop and in MP root folder.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    have you installed drivers for your tv tuner?
    if not, maybe they will give useful error if some component is missing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That sounds promising... but as with your other thread about FF: we need log files in order to be able to help with problems like this.
    Please make it a habit to post log files when you ask for help. :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm that it should run on Windows embedded. I think it was mp 1.5 or +-0.1 ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for chiming in FreakyJ :)
    My suspicion is that the TV service has crashed for some reason, possibly because BDA is not installed... but we need the logs in order to know what is going on for Neild. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom