Tv server release (2 Viewers)

shaba230

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
There are 1000's of "normal" people who use/understand all of this.

TV-engine: uses tv card to produce a file
TV-server: passes files to clients
Client: converts file into video/audio

Uses:
TV-server (beta): central computer with TV cards. Clients connected to server watching/timeshifting TV or listening to radio.
or
TV-server (beta): one computer to watch/record with the option to close Media Portal and do something else while recording.

Media Portal Version 0.2.0.0/0.2.1.0: one computer to watch/record. Must leave Media Portal open to record.

The pdf you linked to is an explanation of option #2.

TV-Engine 3 = TV Server & it's made to use the TV Engine as a service so you don't need to open MediaPortal to record a show (when it is setup on same computer). The other good thing it's that you can use a "Server" with 6 (or more) tv cards & stream the programs to different client pc's running MediaPortal with TV Plugin (for now until it is included as a part of MP), I have this successfully to 3 computers.

THANK YOU BOTH!!! Now that really explained it for me. Next week I'll have a little bit of time off of work, I'll try and maybe put something together for the overview section of your wiki.

Thanks again

shaba230

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
the new tvengine/tvserver IS a beta product - it is not a final release product.

the WIKI tells you everything you need to know at this point about the new tvengine.

the tvengine3 forum section also has everything you would need to know about it.

I just want to point out that just because something is in beta doesn't mean that it shouldn't be possible for people to understand the point behind it. When there is a beta version of winamp or aim or windows people know the point of the system as a whole before hand...here with the "tvengine/tvserver" i don't see how anyone would know they are synomous or what exactly they do because i couldn't even find documentation on final release parts of it...but then again i only spent about 45 minutes (sarcasim) LOL.

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
I often find the documentation that is provided with this software and lots of other software to be hard to understand and even outright confusing but that is part of the reason why this forum and the irc channel exist. Look how quickly you got the answer to your questions today. I for one think its remarkable how mediaportal has created such a helpful and friendly community.

petermcc

Portal Member
July 5, 2006
?? Confused

Hi There,

I was the original poster of this message.

I am aware what the tv engine does, I was wanting to know an estimate as to when it will be released.

E.g. 6 months, 3 months, or whatever.

Thats all. This forum topic seems to have gone off on another tangent.

Thanks.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First let me say something about the documentation.
    I agree that there can never be enough documentation. That said, you are overreacting. the overview section of the wiki see here http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/TV-Engine_0.3/overview
    Clearly states 3 setups complete with a pdf file which describes how you can use the new tvserver.

About the release dates, we will release beta 2 soon

Frodo

shaba230

Portal Member
    October 16, 2006
    seems to be quiet obvious to the majority on here.

maybe it's just a problem you have.

try spending 60mins next time.

Possibly but the majority on here, are just that...on here, and QUITE often. To someone new, they shouldn't have to be on here all the time to get the information that i just got from the forum.

As another poster said, it is quite amazing that I got the answer I wanted within just a few hours of my post. But as far as you go chenks, if you ever worked a job that dealt with the public on a daily basis you would understand how important it is to make sure things are explained properly for all individuals. I often tailor how i explain things depending on the feedback I've received from the person I'm speaking to. You might even work with the public now, but I can tell you that your success is seriously hindered by your inability to comprehend this...but hey some people just don’t care to be successful and would rather act like a smart ass instead :)...whatever floats your boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom