TV-Server Setup for 30+ users - advices appreciated :) (1 Viewer)

AlphaXT

Portal Member
November 1, 2006
Home Country
France France
Good Morning,

First of all, I just wanna say a big thanks to the devs working on MP as they do some awsome work, so, :D .

As the title says, I'm working on a project to distribute DVB-S (and maybe soon DVB-T) in a "coumpound" of 4 buildings and approx 30+ TVs. The buildings are linked with Fiber optics and switches so IP connectivity is not a problem. There's a switch near the sat dishes too (I don't know how many dishes there is, maybe 5 or 6 :mad: ).

The goal is to have access to a maximum of channels on all those TVs.

I've been browsing the MP site and forum for some time now and I'm starting to think it's possible to achieve this with TV Server.

Questions :

1 . Does anyone know how many FireDTV/FloppyDTV I can have on one single slave backend ? The question is more about firewire bandwith or other kind of restrictions as the servers I plan to use for this will be like 2 core 2 duo 1.6ghz with 4go of ram with of course no frontend running on it.

I'm thinking about FireDTV cause there's no way near enough PCI/PCIE ports in any motherboard I know (and I don't really want to have too many servers 3-4 max if possible) and cause I think Firewire has less "restrictions" than USB2.
But any DVB-S tuner suggestion for this project is more than welcome :D (maybe there are some "pro" tuners on PCI-X or something)

2. Not every one will want to buy a pc (or mini-pc or htpc or whatever) to "simply" watch TV. I've seen some nice STB like this one : http://www.aminocom.com/products/ipstb/aminet125.html and I was wondering how TV-Server "supports" it (if yet, if ever) - streaming and channel change.

Again, if anyone could suggest some nice STB working with TV-Server, that would be more than welcome.

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Thierry

hani

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
I don't think its supported yet
But you can try Mythtv + MediaMVP Media Center for the Hauppauge MediaMVP.
I geuss the MP TV server will get more popular if some people start developing
clients for other platforms (xbox -xbmc- , MVP, zensonic z500, AmiNET, D-Link DSM-320) ....

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't think its supported yet
    But you can try Mythtv + MediaMVP Media Center for the Hauppauge MediaMVP.
    I geuss the MP TV server will get more popular if some people start developing
    clients for other platforms (xbox -xbmc- , MVP, zensonic z500, AmiNET, D-Link DSM-320) ....

What don't you think is supported yet? Maybe you're right about more clients, but I still think that the TV Server will be popular.

AlphaXT

Portal Member
    November 1, 2006
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks a lot for you answer, I appreciate.

I quite feared this, but, tbh, it's ok since this whole thing is still at the "project" state for now. I'm merely evaluating the possibilities.

Also, I'm not a big big fan of mythTV and I have lots of hope for MP - TV Server :)

So I guess I'll just be patient, test lots of things and see how this very nice software grows.

Just one question tough. I know priority is to have TV-Server and MP stable asap, but do you know if support for this kind of clients is in the "foreseen" ? (hum, I don't want to sound like many ppls who think you dev ppls owe something ... :sorry: ... I really appreciate your work and really, a big thanks for it :) )

Also, no idea about the max number of tuner thing ?

And, LordMessi, I strongly agree with you, I do think TV-Server will become very popular once it's stable.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So I guess I'll just be patient, test lots of things and see how this very nice software grows.

Just one question tough. I know priority is to have TV-Server and MP stable asap, but do you know if support for this kind of clients is in the "foreseen" ? (hum, I don't want to sound like many ppls who think you dev ppls owe something ... ... I really appreciate your work and really, a big thanks for it )

Well I don't think that you'll see MP guys do clients for other systems, but of course if someone comes around that can program to these systems - then maybe....

AlphaXT

Portal Member
    November 1, 2006
    Home Country
    France France
    :( ouch, that's a problem... we'll see. If it becomes as popular as I hope it will, then someone will come up and write this. Sometimes I wish I had better dev abilities (and more time too).

Also, if TV-Server does some multicast, I mean if it can multicast like 30 channels + (with enough tuners of course), then some of those clients mentionned earlier will be able to pick up the stream and show live tv. Then just by accessing another stream (another multicast address or port), it will change channel.

I believe there are lots of way to build a very nice stuff and that TV-Server will perform very well.

P.S.: of course, 30+ channels being multicasted will eat up loads of bandwith and you'd need some serious managed switches to handle this properly.

Again, :D to MP devs for their amazing work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom