TV Server slave pc (1 Viewer)

Buzzard2020

Portal Member
October 22, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have Media portal 1.2x running on my HTPC with a twin freeview tuner on the TV server. I have just installed MP on a second PC connected to my network, I understand this can be a slave to the TV server but I cant find anywhere in the TV server config program to select the master server. The tv function does not appear on the MP home screen either, I assume thats because its not yet linked to the other server? If I have to reintall the Tv server can I do this without reinstalling the MP program and loosing all my settings?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Buzzard2020

I have just installed MP on a second PC connected to my network, I understand this can be a slave to the TV server but I cant find anywhere in the TV server config program to select the master server.
    MP on the second computer can connect to the TV Server on the HTPC, yes.
    You configure the server that MP connects to here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/TV_Client

Enter the host name.

The tv function does not appear on the MP home screen either, I assume thats because its not yet linked to the other server?
    What configuration did you install with?
    Here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...llation/1_Deploy_Tool/0_Select_Options#Use_TV
    You need to select "yes".

And here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ions#Installation_Mode:_One_Click_vs_Advanced
    You need to select "advanced".

And here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Deploy_Tool/2_Advanced_Installation#TV_Setup
    You need to select "MediaPortal client".

If I have to reintall the Tv server can I do this without reinstalling the MP program and loosing all my settings?
    You won't need to reinstall the TV Server, but you may need to reinstall the MP client on the second PC if you didn't select the right options during install.

mm

Last edited:

Buzzard2020

Portal Member
    October 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Cheers for the advice, could have sworn I picked it to do tv on the installation screen, possibly not though. Looks like its the problem though as the TV config section doesnt appear in the MP config even in advanced. Ill do reinstall later and hopefully im cured. Cheers.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Am I understanding this correctly?

I'd like a second PC which also has a TV tuner to use the local TV tuner to display live TV and the main HTPC still does all the recording, and maybe even use the 2nd PC's tuner if the HTPC has run out of TV tuners and there is a recording conflict?

Is this all possible?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    no. MP TV plugin supports only one TV server (i.e only one PC with TV tuners).
    Surely you can change configured server manually (from MP config or inside MP itself). But it doesn\t share all possible TV servers and its resources.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So can the actual TV server have slaves where it uses tuner cards on other PCs?

I understand what you mean that the TV Client Plugin can only deal with one TV-Server so would always have to stream from that same server if if the tuner card is in the local machine.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    So can the actual TV server have slaves where it uses tuner cards on other PCs?

I understand what you mean that the TV Client Plugin can only deal with one TV-Server so would always have to stream from that same server if if the tuner card is in the local machine.

The setup for MP would be that you put ALL your tuners in one PC (which is called the server) and then client PCs (as many as you want) connect to the server to share the server's resources. When you do this, any of the client PCs can schedule and watch TV recordings, as well as watch live TV (which is streamed from the server to the client across the network). Since MP will allow ALL the channels on a single mux (frequency) to be watched/streamed/recorded using a single tuner, you don't usually need many tuner cards in a PC to get quite a good whole house system for multiple clients.

You can also install the client software on the server, so that the server can be used to access your live TV too.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for the advice, could have sworn I picked it to do tv on the installation screen, possibly not though. Looks like its the problem though as the TV config section doesnt appear in the MP config even in advanced. Ill do reinstall later and hopefully im cured. Cheers.

Don't have to reinstall MP, on the client that you want to watch tv (but don't have tuners) you just run mediaportal installation .exe and choose download components only, then when it asks you to manually download wmp, click on the target directory, in this directory you will find package-tvengine.exe , run this. This will add the tv client to your mp client.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom