1.10.0 TV Server stops working randomly / Server cant be found (1 Viewer)

Russ_T_

Portal Member
February 22, 2010
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
MediaPortal Version: 1.10.0

Description
After upgrading from 1.9.0 to 1.10.0 TV server stops randomly or the connection to it is lost.

MP displays a message: (see attached)
Window Title: TV Setup
Please specify the IP address or host name
of the master TV service
Current Setting:
HTPC7

HTPC7 is the name of the PC, both the client and the TV server are running on

Exiting MP, and restarting it resolves the problem, however in the interim scheduled TV shows are not recorded

I have tried amending the hosts file as per the known issues
(un-commented 127.0.0.1 etc)
Running on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Didn't have this problem on version 1.9.

Steps to Reproduce:
Using MP normally - mostly to watch recorded TV
Turn off TV, go away, come back later, turn on TV - problem appears
Appears random. no pattern to why it happens
Has been happening randomly for several weeks. sometime multiple times a day, other times after several days. Sometimes also happen while we are watching a recorded program

Attachments

• 2015-01-25 09_17_23-MediaPortal - TV-Server settings.png
    2015-01-25 09_17_23-MediaPortal - TV-Server settings.png
    423.4 KB
Last edited:

schwarzrz

Portal Pro
May 23, 2010
Frankfurt
Home Country
Germany Germany
Please check your power settungs. Maybe they have changed with the update and the server goes asleep. (Happens to my server, but it is a multiseat installation and i makes sense in my surrounding).

Russ_T_

Portal Member
February 22, 2010
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Schwarzrz. I checked the power settings. CPU and Monitor are always on - never goes to sleep or standby. This is a dedicated HTPC server.
Thanks.

I am thinking of going back to version 1.9.0.
If I just run the 1.9.0 installer will that work?[DOUBLEPOST=1422299111][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I tried setting the wake on lan settings in MP Config, to see it that would fix the problem - but it didn't help.
( I set the WOL timeout to 30 seconds, and left the "auto configure server MAC address" ticked )

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Russ,

1.10 introduced some changes in display management. On some systems there are issues when the PC resumes from standby. You may want to try the following patch and see if this helps: Link

The file "MediaPortal.exe" contains the main change. The other dll's address the "running in wrong thread" error. All files are located in the MediaPortal directory (some in the plugins section). rename the originals and copy the patches to the same locations.

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The TV service does seem to be stopping due to this error:
    [collapse]
    [2015-01-25 23:44:19,359] [Log ] [4 ] [INFO ] - Tvservice stopped due to an unhandled app domain exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.TimeoutExpired(Object commandObject)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)
    [2015-01-25 23:44:19,367] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - scheduler: SchedulerWorker inner exception Error: StatementErrorUnclassified
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: select idProgram, idChannel, startTime, endTime, title, description, genre, state, originalAirDate, seriesNum, episodeNum, episodePart, episodeName, starRating, classification, parentalRating from Program where title = ?title and startTime <= ?startTime and endTime > ?endTime; ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.Execute(IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.Execute(IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.Execute(SqlStatement stmt, IDbConnection dbConnection, IDbTransaction dbTransaction)
    at TvDatabase.Program.RetrieveCurrentRunningByTitle(String title, Int32 preRec, Int32 postRec)
    at TvService.Scheduler.IsTimeToRecordEveryTimeOnEveryChannel(Schedule schedule)
    at TvService.Scheduler.IsTimeToRecord(Schedule schedule, DateTime currentTime, RecordingDetail& newRecording)
    at TvService.Scheduler.StartAnyDueRecordings()
    at TvService.Scheduler.DoScheduleWork()
    at TvService.Scheduler.SchedulerWorker()MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.Execute(IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)[/collapse]

How many schedules do you have?

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had this happen a few times, had to restart TVServer manually. I rebooted my system after the last couple occurrences and it has been over a week since the last time. I don't let my PC go into hibernation or standby, so that's not the issue. I remember I did cull a couple schedules from recordings, so maybe that was part of the fix.

Russ_T_

Portal Member
    February 22, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks everyone for your replies

There are 143 scheduled recordings

I re-installed MP 1.9.0, and rebooted my PC.
    However the problem still exists. I came home from work today and the same error appeared.
    Restarting MP fixed it - but some programs were not recorded.

Also I have had a couple of instances when the system seems to have frozen (once while watching a recorded TV show).
    The mouse still works but nothing else is responsive, including a Ctrl+Alt+Del. However after waiting about 30-40 seconds, the system came back to life and MP and everything else seemed to work again.

This is odd as I haven't done any system upgrades or installed any new software etc.
    There is no backup or virus scanning scheduled during this time. And the system is setup so it never suspends / goes to sleep etc.
    I have been using MP successfully on this same hardware / windows platform for about 3-4 years.

Russ_T_

Portal Member
    February 22, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I may have added a few, but not a lot. I do recall also deleting a few recently.

I will delete some more and see how it goes.
    Is there a recommended upper limit ?

BTW I have 2 Hauppage cards - each with 2 tuners - so 4 tuners in total.
    I always set my recordings to start 1 minute before, and finish 10 minutes after - so there is sometimes an overlap .
    However Its been this way for the last 3-4 years and has been OK until recently. (MP rocks !!!)

I will let you know how I get on after deleting some scheduled recordings.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom