TV-server (1 Viewer)

Andreas Aronsson

Portal Member
November 16, 2012
Fjugesta, Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi!

I wish to have a new TV sollution for my home. I want to have a TV-server with 3-4 tuners that can decode DVB-S and DVB-S2 with CA-module and a payed card from TV-operator (canal digital / C-more (sweden)). Then I want to have 3-4 clients to other TV-s (bedroom and the kids). These clients should be able to choose channel, play recorded programs, play movies from server and maybe also start recording and timeshift. The last two is not required. The client should be as easy to use as possible and not to expensive and of course small and quiet. The server does not have these requirements.

What I can see mediaportal can do this, but the question is about the tuners, is this even possible? One card and CA-module and 3-4 tuners. What TV-cards should I use?

Regards Andreas

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Andreas and welcome!!

I have a similar setup to what you describe, using a central TV/Media Server and three fixed clients. I use DVB-S/S2 and record TV and stream to other clients. The clients access all the same features such as EPG, recorded TV, stored movies, music, photos etc. I also use DVB-T/T2 cards to give more channels.

I don't use any CA module or CI cards, and never have, but I know that others do. I recently replaced two TV tuner cards with TBS ones, and they perform really well. I don't know if it will suit your purposes, maybe some other Swedish users could advise, but this card >>here<< may be what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Andreas Aronsson

Portal Member
    November 16, 2012
    Fjugesta, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for you answer. That seams nice, but I don't think it will be enough with two tuners. If I buy two PCIe-cards with twin-tuners and possibility to use a CAM for payed channels. Do I need to CAM and smartcards or can both the cards decode with the same CAM and smartcard? If not what is the solution if I need 4 tuners?

Zoidberg77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    you will have to look for the MTD (Multi Transponder Decrypting) feature to decrypt more than one channel with one card.
    As far as I know only Digital Devices sell a CI and TV cards which can do that. You'll also need a CAM which supports MTD. If remember correctly Unicam is able to decrypt two channels at a time, Maxcam up to four (no guarantee on that), don't know if these will work with you pay tv card.
    But I don't use this kind of hardware, so maybe someone else will be more helpful...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, Zoidberg77 is right. If you only want to buy one CAM and share it with multiple tuners then the only option is Digital Devices.
    There are other tuners that can decrypt multiple channels - for example, TechnoTrend, TBS - but they don't support sharing the CAM.
    Either way, make sure you buy a CAM that can decrypt multiple channels otherwise it doesn't matter which tuner card you buy. ;)

Andreas Aronsson

Portal Member
    November 16, 2012
    Fjugesta, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok that is a problem then, because what I think the operator here in Sweden has it's smart card bounded to work on only the provided CAM.

I have read something about softcam, is that a solution? And how would that work?

Andreas Aronsson

Portal Member
    November 16, 2012
    Fjugesta, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Okej thanks for you answers. I'm not out to do cardsharing or other stuff but I want to have a TV-server that works for my paid channels.
    I have to look for answers for how users in sweden do.

regards Andreas

M.J.S

April 18, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi! Looking for similar solution at home. How did it go for you?
    Having trouble to find a stable setup that works for me when reading all over the forum. A must is that the HD-channels works. Therefore i need CAM from my provider?

Looking forward to buy the stuff I need and get the MePo running, thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom