TV-Service causes high CPU load (1 Viewer)

Memorix

Portal Member
May 1, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I have a single seat setup with MP 1.31 on a Win10 machine.

Since the last automated Windows update the TV-Service produces a CPU load around 50% when it is idle. Before the update the CPU load of the TV-Service was around 3%.

I uninstalled the latest Windows update to see if this could resolve the problem but it remained. To investigate the problem I loaded a few months old disc image and could find out, that the CPU load doesn't occur directly after the installation of the Win update and reboot. For a few minutes everything seems to be normal. Then a process called ".NET Runtime Optimization Service" starts. This process produces also very high CPU load, but after a few minutes the process ends. Exact then the TV-Service starts to increase its CPU usage up to 50% and stays there.

I would be thankful for any help, because under these conditions it's no fun to use MP (and it was real fun for the last years). Logs are attached. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Memorix

HTPC Taskmanager-2023-05-21_14-35-49.jpg

Attachments

• MP_Logs_HTPC_23_05_21_14_24.zip
    1.8 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the TV-Service produces a CPU load around 50% when it is idle
    I looked at your log files, but the TV Server log is set to WARNING level, so it contains very little info. I would suggest that you set the TV Server log level (in the "General" section in "TV Server Config") to DEBUG and run the test again.

I find MP logs to be particularly difficult to understand, but I notice that:
    • There is some sort of error with the EPG update, so I would suggest that you disable whatever EPG you are using (broadcast or internet) to see if that makes a difference.
    • There is another error related to your skin trying to create a thumbnail. I don't know the significance of this error, but I would suggest that you switch to the "DefaultWideHD" skin to see if that makes a difference.
    • The MP log shows an error with your MiniDisplay driver, so I would suggest that you disable that device to see if that makes a difference.
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

Memorix

Portal Member
    May 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi CyberSimian,

thank you for your fast response. As you requested I deactivated all the plugins and started MP with the default skin (via Watchdog). Unfortunately the TV-Service has still this high CPU load. Here are the logs.

Best regards

Memorix

Attachments

• MP_Logs_HTPC_23_05_22_17_22.zip
      977.9 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    As you requested I deactivated all the plugins and started MP with the default skin
    The "tvserver_TVService.log" shows that TV Server was trying to grab the EPG in turn from 15 different transponders, but only 6 could be tuned successfully; the other 9 ended with:

[DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal​

The log also shows (I think) that 52 transponders have been selected to EPG grabbing:

[TVService] [INFO ] - EPG: EpgGrabber initialized for 52 transponders, timerInterval 30s​
    In the UK it is necessary to grab the EPG from only one transponder, but perhaps in Germany this is not possible? Are some of your EPG grabber channels part time, and not broadcasting when you ran the test?

Please disable both the "timeshift" EPG grabber and the "idle" EPG grabber in "TV Server Config" and see if that makes a difference.

I should stress that I am not a TV expert, so what seems weird to me with respect to the EPG grabbing may not be the cause of your problem. :confused:

Memorix

Portal Member
    May 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

now I disabled all EPG grabbing and all plugins of the TV-Service (hopefully:unsure:). Here are the logs. By the way: CPU load is, of course, still high.

Best regard

Memorix

Attachments

• MP_Logs_HTPC_23_05_23_13_47.zip
      1.1 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    now I disabled all EPG grabbing and all plugins of the TV-Service (hopefully:unsure:). Here are the logs. By the way: CPU load is, of course, still high.
    Thank you for the new logs. Unfortunately I see nothing in the logs to indicate what the problem might be. :(

If no one else contributes to this thread with suggestions of possible causes of the problem, I would suggest that you uninstall MP1 and try MP2 instead. MP2 may be sufficiently different to avoid the problem. However, the TV Server part of MP2 is essentially the same as MP1, so MP2 might encounter the same problem.

Sorry that I have nothing else to suggest.

Memorix

Portal Member
    May 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for the try. I strongly believe the problem is caused by the Windows update an the ".NET Runtime Optimization Service". I guess is that this Optimization Service is not always optimizing the system.:mad:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a single seat setup with MP 1.31 on a Win10 machine.

Since the last automated Windows update the TV-Service produces a CPU load around 50% when it is idle. Before the update the CPU load of the TV-Service was around 3%.

I have recently updated from MP 1.30 to 1.31 on a Win 11 PC slightly different to your software set up but given Win 10 is still supported I doubt there are many major differences regarding the ".NET Runtime Optimization Service". On my setup I am not seeing any significant CPU usuage MP takes around 3% and the TV Service is insignificant, less than 1%, when idle. What CPU do you have and are you sure it is supported on Win 10? 50% CPU usage just for MP1 alone when idle seems way too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom