[confirm] TV Service died changing channel, couldn't kill Mediaportal.exe (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was watching one channel and MP was recording another and I changed channel, only to get a "Lost connection to TV Server" error message.

So I thought I'd restart MP and closed it but couldn't get it to restart. Checking TaskManager showed it was still running and using about 500MB and I couldn't kill it, either from TaskManager or Process Explorer. I even launched MP Config which warned me it would close MP but then it just loaded and Mediaportal.exe was still running. I tried launching TV Server config but that just gave me the MySQL connection box and it couldn't connect when I clicked Test.

I didn't want to reboot as I had a recording in progress but I also wanted to watch TV whilst I ate my dinner (these things always happen at the most inconvenient times don't they) so I rebooted and checked TV Server config, which loaded but Manual Control wouldn't allow me to start timeshifting and I could see that things didn't look right under Server, so I unplugged the K-World USB Tuner and stopped and restarted TV Service and after that it started working again.

So I guess something caused the tuner to crap out. I was told these K-World tuners are good but I've had problems with it and MP a couple of times now and never had any such problems with my Hauppauge Nova-T 500 PCI card. I've decided to put that in the HTPC I'm building for my brother, as although I originally bought the K-World USB tuner for that, I can't expect him to deal with these problems as he's not technically minded at all and so need to give him something hassle free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom