Tv shows fuzzy channels or records fuzz. (1 Viewer)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    EDIT: After doing a ton more research on this issue, I have finally come up with this. We are getting fuzzy channels because of the wrong frequency of the channels. When you do an auto tune using a fresh install of RC2, it takes every channel and add it to the TV database. Somewhere in-between RC2 and RC3, the database stopped recording the frequency into the database and goes off a master list. It just so happens that this list is wrong. I just installed RC3 and did an auto tune. I then wrote down all the frequencies from that. I then went back into each channel and added the frequencies. I then recorded like 8 shows (how I usually do and before I would receive fuzzy channels) and everyone came out ok.

So if you are having this issue, run the auto tune and write down the values and then manually add them to each channel.

IF any of the developers take a look at this... instead of having us pick a country and using preset values. Please let us choose Auto tune with will search for channels and add EXACT values it pulls from our cable or satellites.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been doing some testing on this with the very latest CVS 3-15-06 1-06. The reason we are getting fuzzy channels is because Cable:False. This means it somehow switched from cable to antenna in the auto tune. You will notice that channels 1-13 still work (antenna channels) but anything above 13 you will get a fuzzy channel. I am still doing some more testing and I thought it broke at one point in time but I still can't put my finger on it. Anyone who is getting fuzzy channels, please go back into your card setup and check to see that antenna is not selected.

In your mediaportal.xml... you should have this line:

<entry name="tuner">Cable</entry>

This goes for both cards. I tried to leave this open and do things within MP to see if I would get the message "Document has changed, would you like to reload" so I could figure out when it is changing that key. But so far, still no luck.

I am also wondering the correct way to setting up dual cards. Am I supposed to auto tune for both cards? I think what might be happening is we auto tune one card... and that brings in all the channels, but the second card is still set at antenna by default. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I did auto tune on both cards this time, and then set up 6 shows to record back to back.. in the past I get one good show and the rest are fuzzy... I will let you guys know what comes of this.

After you guys check and change this value, please keep an eye out for when it happens... Send in your logs so we can get this straighten out before the 18TH!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hopefully this is called tinkering under the bonnet/hood in your case.
    Lots of changes at moment me thinks.

:wink:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I'm having the same problem with a PVR150MCE with all CVS from March.

In Setup Cable is selected, Tuner is set to Cable. I furthermore can not say that Channels 1-13 work for me. For me nearly every channel do not work while recording. Only some recordings work, while I atm do not recognize, why these work.
    Watching TV and changing channels work fine.

So hopefully someone will find a way around this...

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I download the very latest CVS 3.16.06 and It didn't seem to have a problem.. I will continue to test this version.

EDIT: I did continue to test.. and this version is still broken... We need some help on this one guys!

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I was doing some more testing and came up with this. I was looking in the mediaportal.xml to see what I could find in there. There is a value in there that tells it what to use (cable/antenna). The line looks like this:

<entry name="tuner">Cable</entry>

I was doing something (I wish I remembered the correct steps) and exited out of MP or the config. Because I had the mediaportal.xml open it told me that it had changed and would I like to refresh it. I did and noticed that the line had changed to this:

<entry name="tuner"></entry>

If you take cable/antenna totally out and then go into MP... it should now display fuzzy channels. For what ever reason, something changed that line to be wrong and I believe that this is currently our issue.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I am now going into the TV database to see what I can find in there... If I load on RC2 and no CVS I get frequencies within the channel table. In the current CVS it just places 0's instead of the frequencies. Is this by design or is there something going on here? If anyone has an older install, please check your database by going into the MP/docs folder and using the database viewer to view your TV database. Click on browse data and then click on the channels table. Do you see any frequencies?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

frequency setting is not a must. If the frequency is set to 0. MP gets the frequency by looking into a specific country table to translate the cable channel setting to a frequency. Thats the reason why you have to specify your country for tuning.

What you can check is: Does MP lookup the correct frequency for the channel? You can see this in mediaportal.log:
    18.03.2006 06:43:08 SinkGraph:TuneChannel() tuned to channel:30 county:49 freq:245,312 MHz.
    Is the greq correct for that channel? Or does MP tune on the wrong frequency eg. 312.432 MHz? (resulting in snow)

HTH, Flip.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I am quite sure thats its on frequencies. On Channel worked for me all the time. After testing a while i saw that at this channel a frequency was set. Other channels didnt work and had a "0" (default) set.

I now set all frequencies from my cable providers list and until now all recordings worked fine.

Maybe you guys check this.

Paloema

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Here is what I did for a little test... I edit channels 52 and 72 with the frequencies I got from the auto tune. I then set up several shows to record from channels 52 and 72 along with other channels. Every single show I recorded on channels 52 and 72 worked.... HOWEVER... Here is what is happening to the others.

Channel 23 frequency (taken right after the auto tune) = 217.25

From the logs when trying to record that channel:

3/18/2006 12:02:07 AM SinkGraph:TuneChannel() tuned to channel:23 county:1 freq:525.25 MHz. tvformat:NTSC_M signal:NoSignal

Also I have it set on United States and cable. I wouldn't think that county:1 would be USA... Can someone please take a look at this and see why it is grabbing the wrong frequency?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I cannot confirm this for:
    - Germany (Country 49)
    + todays CVS (mediaportal-cvs-03-18-2006--10-10.rar)

But I had this issue with older CVS. So please check if the current CVS solves this for you.

Flip.

PS: And yes, USA is the number one ;) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom