TV & Video - stuttering playback then hangs - logs attached (1 Viewer)

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

My MP setup is beautiful except for one big issue where the system sporadically:

Starts with the occasional stutter
    Stutters grow more frequent until
    System locks up - freezes on frame and does not respond to any keyboard / mouse / remote commands.

Normally my only option is to kill the power, however I went into expert mode on MP config, set the Watchdog priority to High, then when it froze I was able to CTRL + ALT + DEL, get to Watchdog and get the logs - attached.

Any ideas? This has been annoying me for weeks!!

Regards

Scoobs

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I can't see any obvious cause from the logs (just the symptoms of 'Scheduling sample from the past' in evr.log - which basically means the decoded video frames aren't arriving fast enough from the decoder - but you have a powerful system, so this shouldn't be happening).

Does it happen with all video playback, or just with TV ?

When it starts to stutter, does pausing playback (briefly) fix it ?

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Hi Owl,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does it happen with all video playback, or just with TV ?
    This happens mostly on TV - it has happened occasionally with playing videos (MKV)

When it starts to stutter, does pausing playback (briefly) fix it ?
    No, when the glitching occurs I cannot give it a command via remote etc.
    One thing that has helped is moving the timeshift folder from my storage drive to my SSD - it made it through over an hour of a movie on TV with only minor glitches.

As I wrote the above sentence, however, it has completely locked up.

Anything I can do while it is frozen to diagnose further?
    Thanks

Just as an update - it is currently frozen but I can get to Task Manager - any ideas?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    These look pretty aweful:
    [2013-08-11 16:50:30,371] [Log ] [17 ] [ERROR] - Exception in TuningDetail.Persist() with Exception Error: NullPropertyUnclassified
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: The property named name of class TvDatabase.TuningDetail was null (not allowed here).
    at Gentle.Common.Check.FailWith(Severity severity, Error error, Exception e, String msg)
    at Gentle.Common.Check.Fail(Exception e, Error error, Object[] args)
    at Gentle.Common.Check.Verify(Boolean condition, Error error, Object[] args)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.GetParameterValue(Object val, ObjectMap map, FieldMap fm, StatementType stmtType)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.SetParameter(IDataParameter param, Object val, FieldMap fm)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.SetParameters(Key key, Boolean isUpdateAll)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.SetParameters(Object source, Boolean isUpdateAll)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.Execute(Object obj, StatementType st, IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.Persist(IEntity obj)
    at Gentle.Framework.Persistent.Persist()
    at TvDatabase.TuningDetail.Persist()
    The TVService logs are full of them. Maybe it helps if you re-scan all your channels?

and from TV Series plugin:
    [2013-07-29 04:14:42,663] [Error ] [3 ] [ERROR] - SQLiteClient: TVSeriesDatabase4.db3 cmd:sqlite3_prepare16:pvm=null err:ERROR detailed:no such table: Actors query:confused:ELECT DISTINCT seriesID FROM Actors

I also see a couple of crashes in ccc.exe (ATi Control panel) and a lot of WmiApRpl issues.
    Maybe the hotfix for the WmiApRpl helps your system stability, although i doubt it'll fix your problem, but worth a try.

Last edited:

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Thanks

I am using DJ Blue's SKY UK grabber plugin - I have re-grabbed.
    I have taken a look at the TV-MP plugin - but it's not showing any errors or warnings.

I have also uninstalled and removed my ATI graphics card and am using the on-board Intel HD 4600 graphics.

Do you think a clean install is the best way forward?

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    OK I did a fresh install, only configured MP to use the TV server, left it on a freview HD channel and it froze within 15 mins.

Logs attached - I am officially out of ideas!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    A few obvious things - do you run anti-virus software ? - if you do, make sure that all the video/TV folders and file types are excluded from real-time scanning. behavioural monitoring etc.

If you make a long TV recording, does this play back without freezing ? (i.e. is this a problem mostly with LIve TV ?)

If you set the TV codecs to use LAV video decoder (it was using MS DTV-DVD decoder in the last set of logs), in LAV settings change the 'Hardware Acceleration' setting to be 'None' (i.e. software only, not using DXVA) - does that affect/fix the problem ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am using DJ Blue's SKY UK grabber plugin - I have re-grabbed.
    I think the issues you're describing are known issues with this version. At least the exception with program persist thing that Owlsroost found is, and lots of people have reported continuity errors appearing with the latest version that weren't there before. I would go to DJBlu for support.

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Thanks all, I don't run any AV on the box but I will try out the other tips.

Last night I re-installed the box so it is squeaky clean Win 7 64 with all up-to-date drivers and updates - will image this so I can roll back to it if necessary.

I will give DJB a shout

Cheers

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom