TVE2 quits without error (1 Viewer)

pACE

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MediaPortal Version: MP 0.2.3.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: Xface 1.3 (have tested with others also)
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2 - Fully updated
CPU Type: Intel P4 2,6GHz
HDD: 200GB Seagate IDE
Memory: 1024MB DDR-400
Motherboard: Albatron PX865PE Pro
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 865PE
Video Card: ATI x800Pro VIVO
Video Card Driver: ATI Catalyst
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV DVB-C/CI
1. TV Card Driver: Latest BDA-driver from DigitalEverywhere (same problem before update)
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV, DScaler, Nvidia, FFDShow (tested all of them)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPV, DScaler, Nvidia, FFDShow (tested all of them)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: ComHem

The problem I experience is that after some hours of watching TV (timeshifting is not enabled), MP just shuts down without any visible error messages. After som testing my conclusing is that it crashes because it runs out of memory. When TV in MP is started it takes about 200MB of memory and uses around 450MB of paging file. After that it just keeps eating memory, say about 1MB every two seconds. Just before it exits to WIndows there is no free memory left and the paging file is about 2GB.
I think this problem first occured with the RC1 release of 0.2.3.0 but I can't say for sure.

What I have done so far is:
* Uppdated the firmware of the TV-card
* Uppdated the drivers of the TV-card
* Run Windows Update and applied all patches
* Reinstalled .NET 2.0
* Installed .NET 3.0
* Tested with diffrent Codecs for audio and video in multiple variations
* Tested with a clean install of MP 0.2.3.0

If I use MP without starting the TV the memory leak does not appear. If I stop using TV after, let say, 2 hours it stops consuming more memory but it doesn't free up the already large page file leaving the system slow.
Anyone have any ideas?

pACE

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Doesn't anyone have any ideas on what I can test to fix this?

pACE

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Tested some more. Tried with another Firewire card for the FloppyDTV but still the same problem.
Another thing I have noticed is that if I stop using the TVE2 before MediaPortal quits and then minimize MP to the tray, the process Mediaportal.exe goes from using ~700MB memory to ~10MB instead?

The only things left to try that I can think of is to change the PCI-slot for the Firewire card and also to update the graphic drivers.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Seems like you have a DirectX error & that you don't have enough memory (Main: Video RAM left: 0 KByte), do you have more then 128 mb of video memory?

Regards
    Roy

pACE

Portal Member
    October 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have 256MB Video RAM. I looked at the time for the (Main: Video RAM left: 0 KByte) row and it is posted when I open up the TV-engine. If it really is the Video RAM that is the problem, why would the TV-engine run for four hours? Could it somehow be using the RAM and Page File to make up for the lack of Video RAM?

Regarding the DirectX, I have only tried the Dxdiag and it stated that everything was OK.
    But I will definatly look in to updating/repairing the DirectX, thanks for the idea.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    The video mem it's from when MP actually starts the window & whats left after it did:
    Code:
    2007-11-28 12:34:51.640625 [Info.][MPMain]: Main: Activating windowmanager
    2007-11-28 12:34:51.828125 [Debug][MPMain]: Window: MediaPortal.GUI.Home.GUIHome init
    2007-11-28 12:34:51.843750 [Info.][MPMain]: Main: Initialized skin
    2007-11-28 12:34:51.843750 [Info.][MPMain]: Main: DX9 size: 1368x768
    2007-11-28 12:34:51.843750 [Info.][MPMain]: Main: Video RAM left: 0 KByte

You can also try Blue Two as skin to see if anything change, test in windowed mode, update graphic card drivers etc.
    I dunno anything about you graphic card, but if it's on mainboard(built in) make sure them mem it's not set to automatic in bios, set it to 128 if you can & test again.....

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom