tvserver and database (1 Viewer)

kevin939

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have an MP installation (1.10) with tv server and MP on the same PC in the living room. This works great.

I also had an old (1.7) installation of MP on a PC in the bedroom - again MP & TV Server. This was configured to use the living room TV server. Worked great. I decide to update this MP installation from 1.7 to 1.10. Update appeared to go well but the resulting installation locked up whenever it tried to access the database. Odd but I thought the MySQL upgrade had failed. So I uninstalled everything and tried a fresh install. Worked great......but then I changed the TV server to be the living room PC.....locked up as soon as MP tried to access the db. Reverted back to the local TV server and working great. Looking at the error logs its clear the lockup was due to MP trying to access the DB on the living room PC.

I can supply logs but I think this must be just a configuration that I don't understand. Any advice much appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking at the error logs its clear the lockup was due to MP trying to access the DB on the living room PC.

I can supply logs but I think this must be just a configuration that I don't understand. Any advice much appreciated.
    Well, MediaPortal is told how to connect to the TV Server database by the TV Server that it connects to. So, if the living room TV Server is configured to use the DB on the living room PC, then when you connect the bedroom client it is natural for that client to be told to connect to the database on the living room PC.

You cannot have MediaPortal on the bedroom PC connect to TV Server on the living room PC and use the DB on the bedroom PC... unless the TV Server on the living room PC is configured to use the DB on the bedroom PC.

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    I understand the logic if we were just talking about the TV but when the bedroom PC is configured to use the living room PC's TV service why is it using the living rooms database for music and films?

As I said this used to used to work (or appeared to) as I have always used the living room PC's TV services because its got 2*DVBT2 & 2*DVBS2 tunes whereas the bedroom PC has got a very inferior DVB-T tuner.

Just to make it more confusing the living room PC hasn't changed - so if the bedroom PC was using the living room PC's database before the upgrade whats changed to stop it using it now?

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    ahhhhh firewalls. Just checked the firewall logs and the living room PC is blocking the inward connection to MySQL from the bedroom PC. allowing that makes the bedroom PC work fine,,,,,now what **** auto-update caused that I wonder

Having solved this I must ask a for a clarification. As now configured (bedroom PC using living room PC's TV service and therefore its DB) if I add music/videos to the bedroom PC will it update the living room PC's DB?

thanks in advance

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I understand the logic if we were just talking about the TV but when the bedroom PC is configured to use the living room PC's TV service why is it using the living rooms database for music and films?
    Because MediaPortal's (ie. the front end, not TV Server) databases are local. They're not shared like TV Server's database. If you want to share media library databases between clients then either try MediaPortal 2 (which is designed from the ground up to support that capability) or the MP-Sync plugin (which copies databases between MediaPortal 1 clients).

ahhhhh firewalls. Just checked the firewall logs and the living room PC is blocking the inward connection to MySQL from the bedroom PC. allowing that makes the bedroom PC work fine,,,,,now what **** auto-update caused that I wonder
    ...and that is a perfect example of why I don't run security software. It seems to just get in the way and cause problems.
    Glad you figured it out. :)

Having solved this I must ask a for a clarification. As now configured (bedroom PC using living room PC's TV service and therefore its DB) if I add music/videos to the bedroom PC will it update the living room PC's DB?
    As above. The TV Server database - used for TV and radio channels, schedules and settings - is distinct from the MediaPortal databases which are used for videos, music, pictures etc. All clients must use TV Server's database for TV and radio. Each client normally has its own database for videos, music etc.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    As now configured (bedroom PC using living room PC's TV service and therefore its DB) if I add music/videos to the bedroom PC will it update the living room PC's DB?

No, but you may try this build to use the living room PC as video and picture database. The centralised music database is not supported yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom