tvserver - use xmltv & epg from dvb at the same time? (1 Viewer)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi folks,

I have 3 channels that do not get EPG data from my DVB-T. I want to set up webepg (or similar) to import epg data for just those channels, using tvserver RC1.

However, it seems to me that the xmltv plugin in tvserver and dvb grabbing don't work well together. Is that right?

I have disabled dvb grabbing for the 3 channels in question, and am using webepg, but I don't see the epg data come in for those channels (It is correctly being downloaded, and xmltv plugin states it has parsed the file when I click "import").

So, is it true that you can't use these two things together? Does xmltv plugin disable dvb-t grabbing, or vice versa? Do the entries in the database squash each other or something?

What is the solution here - use one or the other exclusively?

Also, on a further related question - if I was to enable dvb grabbing and webepg grabbing for the same channel, then I would be getting data from two sources - which one wins? Are they somehow combined?

thanks,

coopers

Seattle

Portal Pro
August 21, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
nearly the same question

I´d like to use teh DVB-T Data for the first 7 days - the discriptions quite better, and for the Day 8 till 14 i´d like to use WebEPG

any solutions?

SEA

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    @ coopers

Yeah I couldn't get it to work (ie using the two sources), so I stuck with just using WebEPG / xmltv for getting the data in.

The main reason I started looking at using two different sources was because the default xml files in WebEPG are only configured to grab the standard channels - no HD channels. I spent some time tweaking the WebEPG xml's for the yahoo guide so I could get the AUS HD channel guides, so if that's the reason you want to split the sources let me know and I can send you some updated xml's. They are tweaked for QLD, but you'll get the idea if in another state.

I did read in Big Kev's OZ TV Grabber for TV Server thread that somebody had got that grabber working in conjunction with DVB-T EPG.

Here's the link to the post: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...e-tv-server-only-32166/index6.html#post268614

EDIT:
    I have just tested using both Big Kev's grabber and XMLTV with DVB grabbing and it works. The trick is to make sure whatever TV Server mappings you make in Big Kev's grabber or in XMLTV do not overlap with the channels you turn on for DVB grabbing under TV Channels | TV EPG Grabber. And of course, make sure you enable DVB grabbing under General | EPG.

I suspect the recommended setting in XMLTV of deleting old programs before import will cause a bit of bother though, as it will clean out the guide for the DVB channels as well, and that may take some time to rebuild the guide for the DVB channels, depending on the refresh setting. Best bet may be turn off this setting. Similarly, refreshing the EPG from Manual Control in TV Server would also dump the entire EPG.

Nielsen

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2004
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Small quistion: Does webEPG/XMLTV work in TV-server?
    The WebEPG plugin is located in MP and not in TV-server!

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Does seem slightly illogical I agree.

Yes it does. Out of the box it could grab all the SD channels in Australia off yahoo, and just needed some minor xml tweaks to grab the HD channels.

EDIT:
    Actually I thought about this some more.... it's probably so you can get Web EPG data for TVE 2.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Did some more testing using multiple sources (ie DVB-T and XMLTV plugin / Big_Kev's EPG downloader).

The XMLTV plugin will definitely dump the entire program guide (not just the channels you have mapped) if you select the recommended option of deleting old programs before import. This means you have to wait for the DVB EPG grabber to refresh according to its refresh timer setting before you can get a full guide again after an XMLTV import.

Using "Refresh EPG" under manual control also dumps the entire program guide. So after doing this, you need to redo the XMLTV import

It would be nice if these two components of TV Server had a bit more mutual respect for each other and did not stomp all over each other's imports.

Big Kev's EPG downloader works a bit nicer. I set it to grab the local tvguide.xml that WebEPG had created, mapped only the channels I wanted, and that was all it updated in the guide (ie it did not stomp all over the channels I had set for DVB EPG).

So the upshot if you want to do this is:

1. Make sure you don't have overlapping channel mappings between DVB EPG grabber and XMLTV (or Big Kev's EPG Downloader)
    2. Turn off the recommended setting of deleting old programs before import in XMLTV if you are using that for the import. (Disclaimer - it is recommended so there may be unforseen consequences). Alternatively, use Big Kev's EPG Downloader.
    3. Be aware that hitting "refresh EPG" in manual control will dump the entire guide, so you will need to manually re-import with XMLTV (or Big Kev's EPG Downloader if you are using that).

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    If xlmtv and the grabber do not work happy together , is this a bug that can be reported(and fixed)?

rich110

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Did some more testing using multiple sources (ie DVB-T and XMLTV plugin / Big_Kev's EPG downloader).

The XMLTV plugin will definitely dump the entire program guide (not just the channels you have mapped) if you select the recommended option of deleting old programs before import. This means you have to wait for the DVB EPG grabber to refresh according to its refresh timer setting before you can get a full guide again after an XMLTV import.

Using "Refresh EPG" under manual control also dumps the entire program guide. So after doing this, you need to redo the XMLTV import

It would be nice if these two components of TV Server had a bit more mutual respect for each other and did not stomp all over each other's imports.

Big Kev's EPG downloader works a bit nicer. I set it to grab the local tvguide.xml that WebEPG had created, mapped only the channels I wanted, and that was all it updated in the guide (ie it did not stomp all over the channels I had set for DVB EPG).

So the upshot if you want to do this is:

1. Make sure you don't have overlapping channel mappings between DVB EPG grabber and XMLTV (or Big Kev's EPG Downloader)
    2. Turn off the recommended setting of deleting old programs before import in XMLTV if you are using that for the import. (Disclaimer - it is recommended so there may be unforseen consequences). Alternatively, use Big Kev's EPG Downloader.
    3. Be aware that hitting "refresh EPG" in manual control will dump the entire guide, so you will need to manually re-import with XMLTV (or Big Kev's EPG Downloader if you are using that).

I just happened to stumble across this post.... I've been suffering from this problem for almost 2 years now. I have mostly DVB-based EPG, but 2 channels require an XMLTV download. Up until now, repopulation of EPG data after every install was something I dreaded.... XMLTV data would overwrite the DVB data, DVB data would overwrite the XMLTV data, all dat would disappear. It would always be a real mission! I've always resorted to using a random comibinations of: importing the XMLTV using the TV Server plugin, importing the DVB EPG, restarting the TV Service/computer.

In general I found that this worked:

1. Under TV Channels > EPG in the configuration, tick all the channels for EPG download except the ones using XMLTV (do not select the option to "store data only for selected channels")
    2. Import XMLTV data using the built-in TV Server plugin - with the "Delete old programs before import in XMLTV" option ON (this clears any residual DVB data that may exist)
    2. Immmediately after XMLTV import turn OFF the "Delete old programs before import in XMLTV" option
    3. Restart the TV Service
    4. Open MP and wait for the DVB data to import itself - this can take some time and may require TV to be turned on/off

Even after countless installs I never found a true pattern that worked flawlessly for this everytime.... this process was really more "black magic" involving lots of trial and error. In the end I agree with the sentiments above that MP doesn't really handle mixed DVB and XMLTV guide data very well, but I don't think many people use this approach so it probably never really got much attention.

Anyway, after your post Globaldonkey, I downloaded and configured BigKev's EPG downloader and use it to import my TVGUIDE.XML file - and it worked great (after several days trial at least). Big thanks!!! And thanks to Big Kev too! I no longer fear the guide! :D

Cheers, Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom