TVServer won't stop, only computer restart helps (1 Viewer)

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have been using MP 1.6 happily since it came out months ago, and decided to update my system to 1.7 hotfix when I noticed it came out. I'm doing this on a Windows Home Server box. I know it's not technically supported, but it hasn't had any troubles yet. I went through the setup process, installed SQL 5.6 like it suggested, and thought everything was okay. I scanned for channels, it detected everything fine (using HDHomerun over the air), and installed the Schedules direct plugin. I manually restarted the TVServer like it told me to, and the service doesn't stop. It hangs, and the only way to stop it is to restart the computer. I've uninstalled and reinstalled MP about 10 times to try and fix the problem, but it's always the same. TVServer is completely broken on my system. I've even tried reinstalling 1.6 again, but the problem is still there. Attached are the log files if they're any help, along with the popup that happens when I try and open TV-server-config again. I don't know what to try next.
    Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• media-20140506.jpg
      media-20140506.jpg
      65 KB
    • SetupTv error.zip
      40.6 KB

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the helpful link. I've been running my VPN off my Windows Home Server for two year without any problems with Mediaportal (up to 1.6). Are there any thoughts about how to get them to work happily together? I travel internationally for work, and a VPN is a lifesaver. I'll try turning off the VPN and see what happens.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The error condition happens randomly. Nothing has changed between MP 1.6 and 1.7 that would specifically cause this. So, please simply reboot the PC and let us know if the problem comes back consistently.

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Oh, I've tried restarting the computer tens of times. Based on the advice of the other thread, I disabled RRAS, restarted again, and the TVServer started working now. I'll play with the VPN again and see what happens. Crossing my fingers...

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    I finally got around to checking into this issue again. I have my VPN up and running, but MP still stalls. I even disabled the SSDP service, but it didn't help. I'm totally clueless, and this didn't happen before I was forced to switch to a cablecard. Is that the problem?

Attachments

• TVService.1.zip
      849.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm confused.
    When you started this thread (and presumably when you first started experiencing the problem) you said you were using an HDHomeRun to get over-the-air channels, and that the problem only started after upgrading to 1.7.1.

Your latest post says:
    and this didn't happen before I was forced to switch to a cablecard.

This statement seems to be in contradiction to what I understood from your first post (problem started with MP 1.7.1; no CableCARD tuner at the time).

Are you saying you're seeing a new problem, or is the information in the first post wrong, or...? :confused:

Is that the problem?
    No, probably not... but then having said that, the "SSDP..." log entries are directly related to stuff that was added for CableCARD tuner support in MP 1.5.

I even disabled the SSDP service
    One thing I can say with certainty: disabling the Windows SSDP service won't help. This problem has nothing to do with Windows SSDP. You cannot disable the CableCARD SSDP stuff.

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Apologies in advance for any confusion. I started the thread back a few months ago, but that seems like ages ago, thanks to my 14 month old keeping me busy. Hence, why I'm just getting back to this now.

Here's the full story - I was happily running with an HDHomeRun with QAM and MP 1.6 (or 1.5, can't remember). I have WHS 2011, and use my VPN when I travel for work (mostly international). I pay for basic cable because I don't get very good over the air where I live. Back in April, my cable company switched from QAM to all digital, and I brought an HDHomeRunPrime with cablecard to use it. That's when I noticed MP 1.7 had been released. When the cable went digital, I installed the cablecard and MP 1.7. Problems began.

At that point, I switched back to the HDHomeRun and tried to get MP 1.7 running over the air. I think that's when I wrote to this forum. I figured if I could get over the air working with MP 1.7, I could just switch back to the cablecard and everything would be fine. So, in the link you sent me on May 7th, two things were mentioned - turn off the VPN, or disable SSDP. I removed the VPN because I didn't have any trips coming up, and MP 1.7 worked happily with my cablecard.

Now, this week, I tried to setup my VPN again because I have a trip coming up in two weeks. I got the VPN working, as I mentioned, and the TVServer just stalls now. Going back to the May 7th link you sent, Disabling SSDP was another suggestion, even though the thread was never really solved. I tried that, it didn't fix the TVServer, and I wrote back.

I would love to keep using my VPN to get back home, but it's going to be a tough sell to my wife if it crashes MP all the time. Any thoughts?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right, understood - thanks. :)

Before I say anything else I should say that QAM is digital. In other words, by itself the fact that your cable provider is going digital should not mean you can't continue to use your original HDHR just as you used to. The thing that would stop you from using the HDHR and require the CableCARD is if they encrypt all your channels (including locals etc.). Either way, a CableCARD tuner is a more future proof option so it is not a bad thing to have around.

Going back to the May 7th link you sent, Disabling SSDP was another suggestion, even though the thread was never really solved. I tried that, it didn't fix the TVServer, and I wrote back.
    I think there is a small misunderstanding here, and I'll take the blame for not being more specific. The key things I wanted you to see from that link (aside from the fact that other people are seeing the problem too) are
    1. This post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...k-maybe-a-deadlock.123787/reply?quote=1068115

In other words, please try to disable the routing and RAS service.

2. This post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...k-maybe-a-deadlock.123787/page-2#post-1052643

In other words, please try to disable IPv6.

If you're able to trigger the problem at will - for example, by enabling the VPN, starting the TV service, then trying to stop the TV service - I'd be keen to try and connect to your computer and gather some information to help to troubleshoot the problem. Would you be up for that?
    If so, please trigger the problem then do the following:
    1. Download TeamViewer from here.
    2. Run it.
    3. Select "run only", "personal / non-commercial use" and "accept - run".
    4. Send me a private message (in your forum account - "conversation") with the two numbers - "your ID" and "password" - on the left hand side under "allow remote control".

Thanks in advance,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom