TVservice can't be stopped + 0.2.3.0 RC1/tvengine3 Instability problem (1 Viewer)

krntea

Portal Member
January 3, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
TV-Server Version: tvengine3-06-29-2007--01-21h--Rev15031
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal-svn--06-29-2007--01-00-Rev15031.exe
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
CPU Type: Intel CoreDuo e6600
HDD: WD5000YS (500GB)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: NVidia GeForce E7600GT Silent
Video Card Driver: 6.14.10.9371
Sound Card: Creative SB X-FI X-Gamer
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.6.1187
1. TV Card: pinnacle pctv dual dvb-t pro pci
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.0.4.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PureVideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: PureVideo
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

When attempting to stop TV service through the Services panel or the TV server config panel results in a permanent "stopping" state and error that windows could not shut it down in a timely manner. Error log is full of "A Exception :confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." messages.

Possibly related to this specifically, but if not it is certainly related to MediaPortal/TVServer in general: A windows error message ".NET BroadcastEvent" error window appears during shutdown and/or after computer lockup under mediaportal. NOTE: I have seen this problem randomly over several different versions now. These the below logs should cover this error state as well.

Attached are all the logfiles. Note however that that I have stopped/restarted the system several times over past days since upgrading to this latest version, experiencing quite a lot of stability problems with it. A suggestion to help make Mediaportal more stable, improve the bug submission system/include program dumps: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/bug_crash_submission_system-t25053.html

Please let me know what else is required to detect the problem, thanks!

Keith

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    .NET error 1053 is the usual suspect and has been with the SVN builds for some weeks now.

It is veery awkward and requires the system be rebooted unless you run VISTA where the services can easily be stoped.

krntea

Portal Member
    January 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    When stuck in "stopping" state I can manage kill TVService through process manager, sometimes. What is really strage as it seems to also affect my access to Services and other admin tasks (giving me no permission errors).

Can this bug be tracked somewhere so I know when its safe to upgade?

Thanks.

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've had problems with the tvservice not stopping for weeks (months??) now, as long as I can remember. sometimes it stops cleanley other times have to kill it via task manager, especially important when doing tvengine upgrade (uninstall/re-install)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i only encountered this issue 2 or 3 times since tv-server hit the public.
    never reproduceable.

i have seen this "service unstoppable" with many other applications too.

you can kill the tvservice.exe from taskmanager too btw. ;)

krntea

Portal Member
    January 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I would just like to point how this particular bug report is a symptom of the problem I described in detail with my post on the subject at the end of this thread "Bug Crash Submission":
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/bug_crash_submission_system-t25053.html

It is mentioned above that "many" other programs have the same problem (perhaps meaning by extension that the problem is Ok): But not on my machine other programs don't, however the point is irrelevant since I am reporting a problem with MP only. It also is pointed out that the problem is never reproducible. The problem is always repeatable on my machine however MP developers do not have my machine so they can't debug the problem using the current bug submission system - that is, a simple forum.

This is only a symptom of a very lacking bug submission system in MediaPortal. If MP has an automatic bug submission system MP developers *could* debug my problem as it happened on my machine, and I would not have to write even one forum post. Please read the points I have raised in link above.

It does not need to be like this. Crash's and hangs should only be coming from new experimental code or where new hardware not common with the majority of users is involved: not in months old code under beta testing by many (thousands?) of users who together naturally find and submit such high level bugs quickly - if they dont have such barriers to submitting that is.

As an end user I took the time to jump through the long arduous bug submission hoops here on these forums to submit a fairly simple yet still major bug because I genuinely want to help and see MP to succeed and move forward. To sum up how I feel the response has been so far (this is not a complaint, it is simply how an end user of MP see's it): We already know you wasted your time with all that convoluted report submission process. Its not reproducible so we cant fix it yet until a developer manages to capture it live and generate dump debug info.

Please, the bug reporting system is very lacking and hurting MediaPortals progress. I agree with the sentimets following up in above linked thread: this could be the most important task to add to MP now, for Developers and Users alike.

Sincerely,

Keith

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Possibly related to this specifically, but if not it is certainly related to MediaPortal/TVServer in general: A windows error message ".NET BroadcastEvent" error window appears during shutdown and/or after computer lockup under mediaportal.
    could you please share the windows event log entries (system for TV-Server service and applications: for MediaPortal/setuptv.exe) after thie issue / crash occured?

krntea

Portal Member
    January 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Possibly related to this specifically, but if not it is certainly related to MediaPortal/TVServer in general: A windows error message ".NET BroadcastEvent" error window appears during shutdown and/or after computer lockup under mediaportal.
    could you please share the windows event log entries (system for TV-Server service and applications: for MediaPortal/setuptv.exe) after thie issue / crash occured?

Response to original question on logs is posted here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=161463&postcount=11

(Note just in case it is confusing to follow, the response was not posted there apparently it was moved it there:
    You have received a new private message at MediaPortal Forum from infinityloop, entitled "Post Moved".
    The post that you created in the following thread has been moved
    -----
    could you please share the window... (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=161463)
    New Thread: Bug/Crash submission system (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=25053)
    -----)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom