TVService prevent Energy Save Mode (1 Viewer)

frankytv

Portal Pro
November 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
an combobox in the powermenau would be nice

Prevent Standy Options:
Allways
only if Live-TV is active
only if Recording is in progress (as default)
Never

Then everyone can choose.

parkuhr

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: TVService prevent Energy Save Mode

for my understunding this is already the case:
in tvserver-configuration/powerscheduler/advanced, there is an option: forced shutdown (forced shutddown even when preventet by another process.
that means: if this option is not activatet and there is another process active like recording, shutdown will be denied.
if there is no other process active shutdown is allowed.
if this option is activatet so you can override and shutdown the system in any case.
so its allready like it should be.
therefore its for me not understundable why they have changed mediaportal, so that we now have this problem with shutdown.
for a better understunding, they can also implement your sugestion.
but for me, if i have understood the spoken option correctly, its already there.
and there is even an other option called: prevent standby if grabbing epg.
so there are already enough options for every scenario.

best regards
parkuhr

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany

for my understunding this is already the case:
in tvserver-configuration/powerscheduler/advanced, there is an option: forced shutdown (forced shutddown even when preventet by another process.
that means: if this option is not activatet and there is another process active like recording, shutdown will be denied.
if there is no other process active shutdown is allowed.
if this option is activatet so you can override and shutdown the system in any case
I am afraid that you are wrong: This option only works for Windows XP, to override the denial of a suspend queries by other programs or drivers. With Win7 the "Force" option has no effect at all.
As mbuzina already wrote, the phenomenon you are facing is "away mode", a mode in which the PC is running, but display and audio are disabled. So "away mode" is no power saving mode. but it gives the user the impression of having switched off his media center, since picture and sound are off. "Away mode" was introduced by Microsoft with Vista and Win 7 and should be used in all situations where the user wants to switch off or suspend a media PC that is doing some work in the background, that must not be interrupted (like recording a tv show). If "away mode" is enabled by a program (like MP since version 1.2.0) the user cannot shut off or suspend his PC, but the PC will go to away mode instead as long as "away mode" is enabled. After the recording has ended, "away mode" is disabled again and the system is going to sleep after the configured idle timeout...

Such the theory - but the "away mode" implementation of MP 1.2.0 is a bit simple, so there are two major drawbacks: First - as you already recognized - away mode is enabled any time the system wants to prevent idle timeout, even if it makes no sense like in the case of locally watching tv... Second, "away mode" is not left automatically, when it was once entered by a user "switching off" his recording PC. In these cases the PC will never go to sleep, not even after the recording is finished.

To make some marketing for my own solution:D, I would recommend you to use PowerScheduler++ instead of the built in PowerScheduler, which handles "away mode" correctly and can be configured in detail. You can use the test version for MP 1.2.0 RC for the final version too.

Michael

parkuhr

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany

I am afraid that you are wrong: This option only works for Windows XP, to override the denial of a suspend queries by other programs or drivers.

the wiki says:

Forced shutdown (shutdown even when prevented by another process)
Enable this when there are other external processes running on the computer preventing standby mode. It is however advised to look into why those process are preventing standby.
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/13_Plugins/Power_Scheduler
so i also have understood this option...
and there is also nothing to read that its only for windows xp.
if this should be wrong, sorry, but then maybe someone should update the wiki;)

As mbuzina already wrote, the phenomenon you are facing is "away mode", a mode in which the PC is running,

i never used this away-mode (at least not intentional). I use s3 and s4 only.
bevor this issue with mp1.2 occurs, my system was goeing into standby(s3), if i pressed the relevant button on the remote, even if live-tv was runnining.

I would recommend you to use PowerScheduler++ instead of the built in PowerScheduler, which handles "away mode" correctly and can be configured in detail.

sounds interesting. maybe i take a look. thx for the tip!

best regards
parkuhr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom