TVTome Parser - Revived - now TV.com - Beta available (1 Viewer)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    great to see it works.

if it fails on a file please let me know (you can pm me the filename if you prefer) so I can look into it. With all the filename combinations out there its hard to test.

Thnx

sdellutri

Portal Member
    September 8, 2005
    New York, USA
    Just tried it out and it woks really nice.
    Some suggestions though

- It would be nice if there could be a view in that seperates the movies from the TV shows

- Also, in the view for TV shows, it would be nice if each series could be grouped first and then drill down into episodes for each series

- The Title currently shows the name of the series for each episode, so when you look at the show list, you can see many listings with the same title even though they are different episodes. It would be nice if the title would say the title of the episode or at least the episode number

- I am not sure if this is under you control but it would be nice if there were images related to each episode instead of same image for all episodes.

Thanks again; Really like the idea

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    I have about 400 DVDs and about 1000 series episodes stored on my file server. Is there any way to have the episodes seperated from the movies using this parser? I would prefer to have a seperate My Television Shows. I recently switched from Meedio to Media Portal and I'm getting used to the fewer menu items in Media Portal. I really like the way Media Portal is layed out and I will never switch back to Meedio, but I think that movies and television shows should be seperated.

sdellutri

Portal Member
    September 8, 2005
    New York, USA
    Raven said:
    I have about 400 DVDs and about 1000 series episodes stored on my file server. Is there any way to have the episodes seperated from the movies using this parser? I would prefer to have a seperate My Television Shows. I recently switched from Meedio to Media Portal and I'm getting used to the fewer menu items in Media Portal. I really like the way Media Portal is layed out and I will never switch back to Meedio, but I think that movies and television shows should be seperated.

I have a very similar setup and I agree with you on seperating them;

I am actually just switching from myHTPC (old name for meedio) over to Media Portal as well.

A more general capability might be to just use the Titles for the folder names in the video module as the top level categorization; In this way you could have movies, tv shows, specials, or any other categorization you desire. What do the rest of you think about this idea?

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    sdellutri said:
    A more general capability might be to just use the Titles for the folder names in the video module as the top level categorization; In this way you could have movies, tv shows, specials, or any other categorization you desire. What do the rest of you think about this idea?

I agree that this could be a solution. The thing I'm concerned about using this method is that my movies are scattered across several physical harddrives as are my television series. As it is setup at the moment I have folders DVD1,DVD2,DVD3,DVD4 and DVD5 setup. If I added television series to the folder list I would have to choose between these folders and the folders that contain the episodes. I'd rather have the exact storage folder out of sight in the actual menu system.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Guys,

First thanks for the feedback. Second, I'm pleased to announced that I was invited by the dev team to supply the plugin to the CVS and develop it further.

I'm currently in the process of doing some necessary code cleanup because of this, and have also found ways to speed the process up. It is now also possible to find info based on the episode title even if no season/episode number is avialable. Furthermore alot of customization is possible already, so you can construct your titles in whatevery way you want. Also if you wish, it can also rename files for you so that you have a consistant filename format, again, customizable to how you prefer your filenames to be.

Once this is all stable enough, I will look into ways to seperate these files from the movies. We will most likely need a dedicated database for it anyways, and the rest then is simply views in mediaportals.

So again, thnx for the feedback.

Inker

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    Wow! This is incredible news! I have had such a thrill moving from Meedio to Media Portal. Never thought it could be this good! And now if there is a television series plugin to go with all the other greatness of MP I don't really know what else to wish for.

Thank you so much for putting effort into this project!

Vlarian

Portal Member
    July 15, 2005
    Sweeet! that is great news about being added to the CVS. This plugin caters to many users and I think if led in the direction of the suggestions and what you currently have on your mind it would be applicable to every single MP user.

I too have wondered if there could be a better way to organize, and the drill down directories suggestions sounds great .. I would love to physically rename my files consistently and with the bone fide correct episode names. /giddy

P

pmk

A little bit off topic but I thought the following page may be handy for users of tv.com (the old tvtome.com).

Hopefully it will become how tvtome.com used to be. Looks promising and despite it being mentioned at slashdot at the moment the site is still working!

A lot of the more popular programmes are already listed I guess it will take a bit of time for word to spread before the older / less popular programmes are added.

http://tviv.info

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    OK, a little status update, just so everyone knows where we are at.

The Plugin currently has the following new features since the last beta release:

- search by showname only
    - search by episode title
    - huge speed improvement
    - setup screen
    - fully customizable title format
    - fully customizable genre format (useful for DB views)
    - auto refresh of cache in case of a "coming soon" episode plot
    - auto refresh of cache in case any error occurs
    - auto skip of special episodes and recaps (as far as possible) - in case this fails...
    - offsets file (if a special is listed as a normal episode online - Lost Season 2 Ep 1 is an example of this)

To sum things up, I have used and improved this little thing over the past few weeks, and it is now in a state where it "just works", mostly without any user interaction. Only have the showtitle.......fine, itll simply show you all episode Titles so you can choose, already have the episode title.......cool, it will try to match it and in case several could match, will show you only those that match for you too choose. Or you can show all episode title to make a manual choice in case it misinterpreted the filename. Also, if you want to use this on a show that was recording with MP's own TV Engine....it supports that filename format too and is able to read out the showname from it so you can choose the correct episode.

So, I'm doing more tweaking on the parser itself, until after MP 2.0 Final is out, after which im going to try to get a custom DB (which will mean no more compromises!) and support TV specific tags. All for the future though.

As far as that TV IV is concerned....well I'm not sure. You never know how long it will be online, or what shows are maintained, etc. I think tv.com is the best choice given its huge DB.

Inker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom