Two Questions: Standby & Monitor Off when idle (2 Viewers)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions.

First question:

I have a MCE remote and I wish to be able to put the computer into standby and bring it out of standby using the remote. Is this possible? If so what settings do I need to change. There is already automatic support for putting it into standby, so i can do that, it's just i can't bring it out of standby with the remote, I have to press the button on my PC. How do I bring it out of standby with the remote?

Second question:

This is kind of complicated. Basically, when MP is idle, for instance when music is playing and there is no remote control movement, after about 30 seconds or 5 minutes or whatever (not really bothered at the moment - just want to get it to work), I want MP to switch of my LCD and then when i start switching screens again switch on the LCD.

Is this possible? I am doubtful as it is an LCD and it could be the LCDs fault that this doesn't work. The LCD is a "Goodmans GTVL27W23HD". I have fiddled around with the MP inbuilt functions, but couldn't get this to work properly.

If so, how to do I set this up?

Thanks.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Hi Cheetah05,
    1) Simply put, your system has to be 'enabled' to allow your USB remote to wake up the system. The simplest way to do this is with this freeware tool:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm
    Very cool :) It fixes some of XP's quirks with Standby functionality to!

2) You could try setting the idle timeout in the Control Panel->Display Properties->Screen Saver->Power->Power Schemes-Turn Off Monitor->'After 5 minutes'.
    You 'may' find it turns off your monitor whilst watching TV, etc(?) It's worth a try anyway.
    Otherwise you may need to create a macro that turns off the monitor after 5 minutes of music playing. Hint: Use the MCE Replacement driver to allow running macros for 'events' (like Playing music) and 'AutoIt' is an easy but powerful programming language to create your macro in. AutoIt is similar to VBScript but simpler.

Good luck,

Nick Name.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Hi there,

With regards to the standby.

I am using the program you suggested (i think correctly), and I am still having no luck.

When I put the computer into standby it appears (from my perception) that there is still no power going to the USB devices as the IR Receiver isn't picking up any of the controller button presses, with the usual Red light it does.

Kiwi

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Pukerua Bay
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

If there is no LED in the receiver when you press the remote buttons when the PC is in standby then you have no power to the USB port. This is motherboard dependant, either in BIOS or a jumper on the MB. Once you get this sorted, you will see the light in the receiver go. You will also need to enable "wake on USB" in the BIOS to bring the PC out of standby.
    Cheers

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Ah right, I have just read through the manual of my Motherboard.

It says the following:

Selecting 5VSB will alow you to use the USB keyboard or USB mouse to wake up the system.

If you are using the Wake-On-USB Keyboard/Mouse function for 2 USB ports, the 5VSB power source of your power supply must support > 1.5A. For 3 or more USB ports, the 5VSB power source of your power supply must support >2A

I wouldn't be damaging by using this option would I?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I wouldn't be damaging by using this option would I?

No.

Also make sure in MP setup\General and this is from memory "allow devices to enable standby" or near enough, as this needs to be selected so that the USBBIOSx is written to the registry (reboot required) otherwise it will not allow your remote to work, to bring pc back out of standby.

Tazman

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi...

My problem: Going into standby= Fine

But when i start the pc again with my remote it boots normally....

Why is that?

Tazman

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Hi...

My problem: Going into standby= Fine

But when i start the pc again with my remote it boots normally....

Why is that?

Tazman

that would suggest that it hasn't went into standby at all.

what happens when you start the PC again using the power button on the case ?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    But when i start the pc again with my remote it boots normally

Check what action is set for standby\hibernate on resume for your remote, (would help if we knew which remote your using).

Also in desktop properties\screensaver\power, is the action standby selected for the sleep button.

Tazman

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    When i push button on case the pc boots from scratch. Same with remote.

Im using logitech harmony 885 that emulates the MCE remote. When i select standby in shutdown menu it goes into standby.

Standby is selected in power properties.

I have also tried MST program without luck...

/Tazman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom