Two Questions: Standby & Monitor Off when idle (1 Viewer)

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I thought hibernation uses no power what so ever?

My understanding of hibernation is that is copyings what is in the RAM onto the hardisk when going into hibernation and then copys it back to RAM when coming out of hibernation.

It still uses power for the USB devices otherwise you couldn't turn your PC with your MCE (USB) remote.
    Also if you have "Wake On Lan" configured, that will use power too.
    PS. You are right on the workings of hibernation except for the 'no power' part.

Cheers,

Nick Name.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ah right - makes sense.

I didn't realise you could "wake" from hibernation. I thought you had to manually switch on.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    It still uses power for the USB devices otherwise you couldn't turn your PC with your MCE (USB) remote.
    Also if you have "Wake On Lan" configured, that will use power too.
    In fact, I can't wake my FSC Scaleo E from hibernate with the remote, so at least the IR interface is also powered down during hibernate (but not during standby). The other thing that is definitely shut off during hibernate (in contrast to standby) is an ugly yellow light in the power button. This is an additional reason for preferring hibernate. For both ecologigical and aesthetic reasons, standby has a WAF of zero at our house!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom