UK Freesat (4 Viewers)

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Yes, I heard that five were still tied in to a contract for encryption by Sky for some time. They may be moving transponder in anticipation of going FTA when this expires rather than the channels having to have another reshuffle between satellites.

I have read that Channel 4's encryption contact with Sky doesn't run out until October 2008, but I assume they have found some way round this if they are expecting to launch with Freesat (unless Freesat isn't launching until October, but that would be very late spring).

Mew

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Then we are all back to the "wait and see" scenario :D
    Looks like there are very few 'facts' about this - I have read that it will/wont need a CAM, will/wont be launched before summer, and might/might not contain the basic UK FTA channels (unless you count the effin licence fee ;))

Nemulate

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2005
    IOW
    Home Country
    England England
    I think you'll find it will be free to air, will launch in May and will only have set top boxes on launch. There is an awful lot of information (some of it crap though!) on other websites such as digital spy.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Looks like we can't easily view the ITV HD channel though without a freesat box, or somebody working out how to get it picked up.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Looks like they need to upgrade the hosting of freesat.co.uk, can't get it loaded here at the moment :)

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'll check tonight - however there's some question over receiving ITV HD as it's transmitting in H.222 - does that mean anything to anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom