UK Sky (and Sky+) (1 Viewer)

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,
    Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else already, but I can't find any reference to it..

I wondered if anyone has a multi-seat (or at least a tvserver and a seperated client) configuration that uses a Sky+ STB?

Basically, what it is I'm after is a short guide on how to set it up. I presume that the Sky STB would be next to the TV server and would feed an output into a tv card on the server. My questions are:

1. Which output from the Sky box would you use to feed into the TV card? RF Out? (I haven't seen any tv cards with hdmi input)
    2. Which type of TV card would you use? a dvb-s2 one?
    3. When you then scan for channels, do you find any, or would you plug the LNB output directly into the tv card to get the channel list first?
    4. How would you change channels from a remote client? Using some sort of IR blaster presumably, but wondered how you would set that up.
    5. Obviously, you can only view one encrypted channel at a time on any of the clients, but how would you view the fta ones? Have a second feed from the LNB going into another card in the server?

Any help would be most welcomed!
    A step-by-step guide would be very nice indeed :)

Thank you very much

Poko

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/uk-sky-tv-mediaportal-rc1-38570/

Gives some answers regarding Sky, and I can answer one of the easy ones :)

1. Which output from the Sky box would you use to feed into the TV card? RF Out? (I haven't seen any tv cards with hdmi input)

You would need a card like the hauppauge pvr150 and take the aerial input from the sky box, obviously then only analogue quality, no digital output is allowed.

Should be a Sattelite user along soon to give more pointers.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, Sky changed their cards recently, and don't work in ANY CAM any more (as far as I know)

Also, the whole idea of swapping cards between a cam and the Sky STB doesn't really appeal..

If there's a possible solution by grabbing the feed straight from the Sky box (with card) itself and controlling it with an IR blaster, that'd be perfect!

Assuming that the analogue feed is taken, would the clients still get HD channels?

Thanks for your help so far :)

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    And the coax from the LNB to the STB ;)

What about something like this? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
    Supposedly captures HDMI. Would MP see it as a tuner? I'm doubting it.

How are others here using Sky+ and MP in combination?? Or are people here just not using the two together any more?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

The best solution is to ditch the sky box altogether and use MePo with a DVB s/S2 card.

Due to forum rules (which I completely understand why they are in place - and fully agree with) - I can't explain how it is done on this forum.

But it is possible with the new sky card :D

Do a search, there are plenty of websites detailing how to achieve it.

Thanks,

J.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks Jay.

Wouldn't mind a PM ;)

By MePo, you mean Media Portal?
    In which case, I'm rather curious how you'd achieve it.
    I was hoping that I could use the webbrowser plug-in for the online Skyplayer, but the plug-in has too many issues at the moment...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom