Unable to access shared folder (1 Viewer)

PoBear

Portal Pro
April 17, 2006
Northants, United Kingdom
New install of MP2, single seat on W10 using spring 16.

I'm trying to create a new media source from a folder on a network share

If I go in via network then I cannot expand the entry for the computer where the folder is. I have access to the folder in explorer, the remote computer requires a password but this has been stored in W10.

If I define the folder as a network drive on the MP2 machine then MP2 does not see the drive (just C drive)

Any ideas?

Thanks

paul Ebrey

Portal Member
December 5, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
+1 here. Installed MP2 2 days ago, and this is up there amongst the issues. (So far thinking MP1 was a better option :-( )

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the remote computer requires a password but this has been stored in W10.
    You need to enter the network drive credentials in MP2, before you can access it. This can be done in (any of the) client GUI -> Settings -> Server Settings... You only can enter one password for now. This will be change in near future, but now you need to have the same user on all of your network drives.
    This information could be found easily by reading the wiki or searching the forum...

paul Ebrey

Portal Member
    December 5, 2012
    Home Country
    ^ Just found that in on some other articles and its worked. Whilst I agree the info is there, its not obvious. My setup is W2012 server essentials (Where the shares are) and the HTPC is a domain member and logged on as a domain admin, so having to input a username / pwd to access the shares is not obvious - I assumed it was for accessing NAS where you would use different credentials. I am guessing MP must be running under a local user account on the PC and not the logged on account - hence the need for the username / password....

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assumed MP2 would take it's credentials from windows.
    HTPC is a domain member and logged on as a domain admin

Maybe you are confused about entering user/pw in the client, but the credentials are needed by the MP2 server (that did not have it's own configuration tool, all configuration of the server is done from within the / a client GUI) because the server accesses the media and delivers it to all clients via UPnP. That's why you only need to enter those user/pw once on one client and you are good to go.

I am guessing MP must be running under a local user account
    As it is a service, the MP2 server did not run as an user, it is a service and for this it runs as "System". System did not have the privileges an Admin has. A Service is able to run even no user is logged in at all. So you definitely need to enter credentials.

paul Ebrey

Portal Member
    December 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Is there an argument that if the service were to run using user credentials rather than the local system account, it wouldn't need the additional details? (I'm well aware that services run when no user is logged in, but they can run with credentials other than the local system account). Maybe one for future development? Could be given the choice at the point of install?
    Not the biggest of issues TBH - its just less obvious than it could be. That said, this thread might make it clearer for future users :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Maybe one for future development?
    Don't think so, complicated and too seldom used. Especially if you later can add the credentials separate for every share. As most Open Source project we're short on man power so the time will better be spend on more important things.

paul Ebrey

Portal Member
    December 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Fair comment. All too easy for us end users to forget devs give their time for free to produce this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom