Unable to Change Channels (1 Viewer)

Greg Caporale

January 3, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, I am setting up IRSS and I have followed the instructions as far as I can tell. But I am unable to get the remote to change the channel in MediaPortal. If I use the Plugin Setup and go to the card and press test I can successfully send a channel number and the STB will change the channel. But if I do it from within MediaPortal I get an error saying "Unable to start timeshifting, no card available.

I have searched the forum and one or two people all seem to have had similar issues but I still am unable to resolve this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.4 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Greg :)

First, I think you have to restart the TV Server service in order for it to detect and/or start using the IRSS plugin properly.

If you've done that, we're going to need more information in order to help you.
    Please can you ensure the TV Server log level is set to debug:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../TV-Server_Configuration/06_General#Log_Level

...then reproduce the problem and provide your log files:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Thanks,
    mm

Greg Caporale

January 3, 2014
    Home Country
    Hi, thanks for the information. I have restarted the service multiple times, and even for good measure I rebooted the computer but it still happens. Here are my debug logs, thanks for taking the time to review them.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Greg

First, a direct answer to your question...
    I think the reason why you're getting that message when you try to tune [for example] WNYW or WCBS is that you haven't linked the channels to your tuner. "Mapping" channels tells TV Server that tuner X can be used to tune channel Y. When you try to tune an unmapped/unlinked channel, TV Server will think there are zero tuners that can tune the channel, and will therefore say "no card available".

To fix:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/2_Mapping

Select tuner up the top.
    Select one or more channels on the left (hold down shift and/or ctrl to multi-select).
    Click ">" to link.

I can imagine very soon you're going to encounter another problem: no channels except channel 3 will work. You'll get "no signal".
    The reason for this that you've connected your STB via RF (coax). Aside from being the worst possible choice in terms of picture and sound quality, using an RF connection for blasting also has another quirk. The channel number that is sent to the blaster is the same channel number used for tuning.

Your STB is delivering RF output on a fixed channel - channel 3 (61.25 MHz).
    When you create NBC as channel 4 and attempt to tune it, the tuner will be tuned to channel 4 (67.25 MHz) and the blaster will blast 4 to the STB. The STB receives the right command but the tuner is tuned to the wrong frequency (67.25 MHz instead of 61.25 MHz). Hence the no signal message.

I really strongly recommend you switch from the RF connection to either s-video or composite. That would completely avoid the problem and would give a small bump in picture and sound quality. S-video should give better picture quality than composite. If you must use RF for some reason, make sure you set the frequency to 61250000 when you create each channel. This may work for you... but it may not be reliable. Hence my strong recommendation to use s-video or composite instead.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Greg Caporale

January 3, 2014
    Home Country
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful information. That's a lot to digest.

Let me work backwards and see if I can make sense of this.

You suggest that I use composite or svideo instead of rf. I have an HP All-in-one with a built in tuner hence the reason I thought I needed to use the coax connection. There is an HDMI and composite input, but in order to use them I actually have to press a button on the side of the PC that changes the input. If I switch to composite I no longer am seeing the OS, but rather just the composite inputs. So in doing this I assume I would lose the ability to use the application to view and record. I will have to test it though to see if it actually will work within windows.

Now, let's say that I am able to get the composite input working, how would I tell MediaPortal to use that instead of a specific tuner?

I have to use the STB box to get the programs offered by FIOS, so I am sort of stuck with it. Plus the STB box is not in a location that I could use the FIOS remote so that is why I was trying to use the MCE remote and IR blaster.

I tried a few scans because I was experimenting when I first installed.

Now with the current setup, I have the coax coming from the STB and MediaPortal works as long as I leave it on channel 3. I did set up the other channels manually and set them up for EPG only so I could download the guide. I was hoping IRSS would send my remote code through the blaster instead of processing it in MediaPortal and trying to get the tuner card to change. I have the channels all mapped to the analog card, do I have to map then on multiple cards instead?

Would changing from RF to composite help with the stutter on live TV? I get about 5 min of playback before things start to get out of sync.

Thanks sorry for rambling
    Greg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Greg

Wow, thanks for all the helpful information.
    No problem. :)

You suggest that I use composite or svideo instead of rf. I have an HP All-in-one with a built in tuner hence the reason I thought I needed to use the coax connection. There is an HDMI and composite input, but in order to use them I actually have to press a button on the side of the PC that changes the input. If I switch to composite I no longer am seeing the OS, but rather just the composite inputs. So in doing this I assume I would lose the ability to use the application to view and record. I will have to test it though to see if it actually will work within windows.
    It sounds like the inputs you're referring to are inputs to the monitor/display, not inputs to the TV tuner.

What I see in the log files is:
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,392] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - analog: AddCrossBarFilter try:AVerMedia Crossbar 0
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,392] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - crossbar pin:0 type:Video_Tuner, related:3
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,407] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - crossbar pin:1 type:Video_SVideo, related:4
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,407] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - crossbar pin:2 type:Video_Composite, related:4
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,407] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - crossbar pin:3 type:Audio_Tuner, related:0
    [2014-01-01 15:11:31,423] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - crossbar pin:4 type:Audio_Line, related:-1

So the tuner card/chip support additional inputs. It is just a question of whether they're available to you.

If available, I'd expect them to be located very close to the RF input... but maybe they're simply not available since it is an all in one system. Might pay to check out the manual.

Now, let's say that I am able to get the composite input working, how would I tell MediaPortal to use that instead of a specific tuner?
    Please refer to the video and audio source fields in the screenshot in our wiki here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...s/Add_or_Edit_a_Channel#Analog_tuning_details

Currently when you create channels you select tuner and automatic. For s-video you'd select "SVHS #1" and "Line In #1"; for composite you'd select "CVBS #1" and "Line In #1".

I have to use the STB box to get the programs offered by FIOS, so I am sort of stuck with it. Plus the STB box is not in a location that I could use the FIOS remote so that is why I was trying to use the MCE remote and IR blaster.
    Have you considered a networked CableCARD tuner like the HDHomeRun PRIME? I think you'd be far better off in the long run with that solution... but I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend and whether premium channels like HBO are important to you.

I tried a few scans because I was experimenting when I first installed.
    Okay, no worries. :)

Now with the current setup, I have the coax coming from the STB and MediaPortal works as long as I leave it on channel 3. I did set up the other channels manually and set them up for EPG only so I could download the guide. I was hoping IRSS would send my remote code through the blaster instead of processing it in MediaPortal and trying to get the tuner card to change.
    If you've gone to the effort of setting up the channels manually and configured EPG then you're honestly only a hop away from a position where you could use MP as if it was the STB. The only modification you need to make to get it to work now would be to tweak those manually created channels: either change the video and audio source if you switch to s-video or composite, or enter the frequency value 61250000 Hz. That's it. Should take only a few minutes.

I have the channels all mapped to the analog card, do I have to map then on multiple cards instead?
    No. You'll only be able to map them to the analog tuner. If you've done that, it should be working.

Would changing from RF to composite help with the stutter on live TV? I get about 5 min of playback before things start to get out of sync.
    Unlikely. I recommend you look at these settings:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/02_TV_Servers/5_Scan_Analog#Settings

For your situation, you want NTSC, 29.97 fps and 720x480. Make sure you restart the TV service after changing these settings.

If that doesn't help you could also look at these settings:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/02_TV_Servers/5_Scan_Analog#Quality_Control

Try reducing the bit rate a little. Currently you're using 7.5 Mbps constant bit rate (CBR). You can go from 2 Mbps up to 15 Mbps in 0.1 Mbps steps.

Thanks sorry for rambling
    You're not rambling - I follow perfectly. No need to apologise. :)

mm

Greg Caporale

January 3, 2014
    Home Country
    Mm,

Thanks again for reply. The information was very helpful. Unfortunately, there is only RF and s-Video inputs for the tuner (And I don't have an svideo cable right now). The composite inputs are definitely for the LCD.

To make matters worse the STB is a basic mode so it only has RF and composite outputs. I looked at your suggestion of the HDHomeRun box, that is a good idea and I may do it, but first I am going to get an a video cable and an audio cable and test the setup. Once I have the cable II can try reconfiguring the channel and going from there.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom